How many of y'all have 'senior" hens still laying?

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
How many have a hen or hens well past the prime laying years but still contributing and what are the hens ages?

I think I have an ole girl laying one crazy looking wrinkley raisin lookin' egg....These girls were given to me...so I dont know their ages but they look and act old....

What is considered senior? Our pen of SS Hamburg hens ranges in age from 3-5 years and we get 3-5 eggs daily (usually 4 or 5).

I don't really know what's considered a senior chicken though. Maybe our ladies aren't old enough to be senior
smile.png

Quote:
From my point of view, any hen past the her third year of laying could be considered a senior, although chickens can live much longer.

Oh, do answer, folks! I only own girls who've just started laying, so I haven't experienced this yet. I'm curious how many folks out there have BR past 3 years old who still lay, and the number of eggs they get a week, if so.

Great question, Gritsar!

I forgot to mention that the 3-5 eggs is from 5 hens. They are not good winter layers though. We don't have our proper coop finished yet so they don't have light and right now we get 2 eggs a day at the most ... usually 1 and sometimes not 1. So, they are great layers still in the summer ... not so great in the winter :) The 4 year old roo has also seemed to slack on his duties as my last 2 sets of eggs have all turned up clear (serama mutts are developing, though, so it is not me lol).

Yes, I'd like to know this too. I'm new and mine aren't old enough just yet to lay but this is very interesting especially if your hens are also pets and as such will be around for a long time.

Quote:
We're new at this too. We've got 5 laying right now. I hope they are all around for a long time. I love them all! I have read that they can live like 15 years if well cared for. I think we'll just have a chicken retirement home:D

Thanks for the imput.
I remember reading awhile back that one forum member gets an occasional egg from an 8 year old hen. Wish I could remember who that was.
hu.gif

I have a very old hen. She is at least 8 years old. I don't know her breed, but she is black with a slight brown feathering on her neck and she has puffy cheek feathers. She lays a medium slightly tinted egg. She will not stay in the pen. She is a very good flyer and roosts in the trees. She likes to set so she tries to hide her eggs. I don't know how many eggs she lays because I mostly can't find them. She is very creative in hiding her eggs. I usually find out when she brings out her chicks. I can look at the almanac and I know that she will be setting sometime soon.

Back
Top Bottom