PVC pipe feeder

Peepthis541

Songster
11 Years
Oct 25, 2008
Eugene, OR
Hi,
I've seen a couple pics of PVC pipe feeders on the site. they seem to be large diameter, like 3". So I have sourced some 3" pipe, and a few 90 degree elbows.

I guess I just wanted to know who has made them and if they are happy with the design. What are the advantages/disadvantages?

I currently use a 5 gal bucket feeder that is demonstrated on the BYC how-to pages. I think the disadvantage of that is that the hens knock out a lot of feed, even though it is elevated.

If you could recall some of your pics and post them in this thread, that would be helpful.

thanks!

dave

DCP_1149.jpg

Hope you can see it well enough. I think it's the only picture I have of it currently.

I used 4".
3" would work just fine also.
I love mine. They can eat for 4-5 days out of it, and also they cant drag it out and make a mess.

Mine looks just like Speckledhens.

Last edited:
Mine works terrible. I am not sure what I did wrong but I fill it up and the feed gets eaten in the trough but never refills from the upright pipe so I have to shake it constantly to get it to come down. Probably because my trough is very long (?) but I have 40 birds in that coop and was hoping they could all eat at once but it just didn't work for me. Maybe yours will work better.

9332_coops_n_chickens_001.jpg

Quote:
I don't really understand this implementation of a 60 degree elbow. Do you mean, in addition to the 90 degree? Which way is the 60 degree angle pointing?

Thanks

Quote:
I don't really understand this implementation of a 60 degree elbow. Do you mean, in addition to the 90 degree? Which way is the 60 degree angle pointing?

Thanks

I believe they mean replacing the 90 with the 60. Myself I would use a 45. If you don't want to replace angles just remove your set up from the wall and re hang it so the trough is at a downward angle.

We are currently using 2 inch PVC pipe that constantly binds up unless the bottom pipe (the part they eat out of) is at a 45 degree or steeper angle.

Do/Have any of you used this feeder for ducks? and can you have the pipe run through the roof of your coop/tractor so you can fill from the outside? I love it, and am now thinking of installing one for ease in my small/medium duck house i'm building.

Back
Top Bottom