Do Cats Eat Chickens?

Bacchus

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 9, 2009
I just saw a cat pacing around my coop a moment ago (around 10PM), and this is the first time I've seen a cat in my yard. I'm just wondering if anyone here has experience with cats eating their chickens. I'm not concerned at night, since my hens are always locked in and secured, but I'm kind of worried about the day time when they're free ranging. Any info on this would be much appreciated!

Yes in differernt stages.

Chicks are attacked fist. Unless mama hen is a good broody.

When the chicks turn adolesance they are easy targets cause they tend to explore on their own.

Then when they are completely get left by mom they are apt to getting attacked.

Adults, with my banty crew. Will be hunted due to size. plus they are often skittish and an attack happens.

Big chooks, I have never seen my large gals get hunted by cats in my neck of the woods. but there is always a first.

Hope this helps...

Thanks for the prompt reply, everyone!

Katy: Barn cats? Sorry if I sound ignorant, but are those the same as house cats or are they wild cats?

1acrefarm: I think the cat I saw maybe my neighbor's cat... So it's probably a domesticated cat. Any suggestions on how to protect my chickens from neighbors' cats?

dave_Cash69: I wish it was my cat... Then I wouldn't have to worry so much. Do you know if your neighbor's cats get along with your chickens also?

Quote:
Thanks! That's very helpful. My chickens are all full sized (or soon to be), so that helps me feel a little better. However, I'll still keep an eye out when my adult hens free range, just in case... better safe than sorry. As for my teenage pullets, I'll make sure they get plenty of protection until they've grown to their full size. Thanks again for your helpful post!
smile.png

i actually introduced my obese house cat to my chickens thru the run and she was terrified she couldnt get her fat little brain wrapped around the fact that God made us birds larger than a blue jay lol so i have no fear of my cat eeeever getting loose and going all animal planet on my chickens shes terrified of them lol
lol.png

Quote:
That's funny...
lol.png
Ya, I wouldn't be so concerned if the cat was mine, but when it's not my own cat, there's no knowing how it will behave around my hens. Thanks for for your comments, God bless!

I have a very tame house/outside cat who can take down a chicken in one shot, and the chicken was DOA before it hit the ground. I have seen him do it and was mortified. He is kinda like a dog and tells me when he needs to go out to potty and follows me around the yard. It just so happened when we were outside a chicken wandered up and before I could blink it was over. My girls and guys are all safe in a fully inclosed pen to protect them as he was here first, and has run of the place........Long story, but just to explain, be very careful with your girls and don't trust any cat!!!

Back
Top Bottom