The Little Tikes Henhouse is here

RachelJoy

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 15, 2009
After a lot of talk, and relatively little work, I'd like to introduce to you the Little Tikes Henhouse.

There is clearly some more work to be done to get ready for hot weather in the summer and cold weather in the winter, and also some nest boxes for when the girls get to that age. But for the mild spring weather we've been having it seems to be working out just fine.

The structure formerly knows as the Little Tikes Playhouse

28120_playhouse.jpg

Holes were drilled through window frame and shutters, so a dowel can be inserted to lock the windows at night. The same method was used for the door.

28120_window.jpg

1" x 2" wire was attached to a wooden frame to cover up the door windows that had no shutter.

28120_door.jpg

A wooden frame was built that just fit inside the house. 1" x 2" wire was attached to the frame, and the frame was screwed directly in to the plastic of the house to make a floor.

28120_floor.jpg

A random piece of wood was screwed in to make a roost. This will be replaced as its a little too flimsy for all five girls to sit on at once. Also, it is now attached between two windowsills - the "kitchen" counter it was attached to became way too covered in chicken poop and has since been removed (although it was cute to see the chicks standing on it pecking at bugs in the sink).

28120_inside.jpg

Things to come:

Nest boxes will hang out through the windows in the style of an airconditioner (maybe I'll even paint one to look that way).

The window that does not have a nest box will be covered with wire so that the window can be left open at night - cross breeze will be necessary for summer.

For winter we will have to come up with a way to make the whole thing less drafty. Do we have to use some sort of a solid floor so all the cold air doesn't come in that way? Probably.

I might also experiment with some sort of hooks on the door and shutters, as the dowels can be a little awkward to put in. Also, when we take them out my 4-year-olds like to play with them and some have been broken already.

I'm open to any suggestions!

Rachel

p.s. - total cost so far approximately $30 for the roll of wire, and we will have enough left over for about 5 more houses. Local Agway only had it in 25' rolls.

Last edited:
Watch leaving any wire edges uncovered (like on the pic of your door.) Birds can impale themselves when startled.

SSOOOO CUUUTTEEE! Bet you'll have chickens and their playhouse in the '09 Photo Christmas cards!

Ok... I know one is a Silver Laces Wyandotte and the other looks like a California White.. What is the other in the third picture that almost looks owl like?

OMG! I have one of these in my yard that my kids have outgrown. What a great idea!!! Too cute

Hmmm, thinking maybe this would be good place for my layers, I've still got to build a larger one for my meat chickens. Only have 5 layers, have 25 cornish x cockerells on order cause we eat a lot more chicken than we do eggs.

My layers are still in a box in my living room.
barnie.gif

The play houses are light and I'm thinking what a great tractor Idea!
little tykes and other manufacturers have such wonderful items I'm sure people could make chicken tractors out of.
I wonder if a chicken would use a slide ...LOL (joke)
It could be made into such a sweet looking ornamental playground for the chicks.

YOU DID A WONDERFUL JOB! BRAVO!!

Back
Top Bottom