I have a hen that CROWS -WHOOPS One of my babies is a boy !!

Lunachick

Chicken Slave
12 Years
Mar 19, 2007
Brick, NJ
It's official, she crows and it's LOUD! 5:27 this morning, (even with my earplugs!) I head it! ER ER ER...ER....ERRRRRRRRR!! I thought I was dreaming....went downstairs and asked hubby, was it Ruby? We had our suspicions.

Yes, he said he was going to go and let them out so she would stop. The coop is 20 to 25 feet from my neighbor's bedroom window. Does anyone have experience with this? Will she do this every morning? I can't have a rooster (?) here! Ack, she's good at it too! She's been slowing down in the egg department too....

How can I help her be a girl again?

UPDATE:

Uh oh, What am I going to do? All this time I was blaming Ruby, and it's Charlotte! I mean Charly, she's (he) a BIG beautiful white plymouth rock. I was wondering what kind of hen gets that big. I got them from MPC. I emailed them on what to do. I ordered the 5 chick mystery pack - all hens. We really like this chicken too.

Last edited:
I have at least one who crows. I had brought one of my BCM hens inside in a crate to tend to (she seemed to have impacted crop) only to hear her crowing. She crowed all the time till I put her back with her flock two days later. I didn't know hens could crow either. The first time she did it I had to go and look and see for myself and yes, she was crowing - sounds just like the roos. Now I'm wondering if more of them crow because there is non-stop crowing around our farm and though I have lots and lots of roos, it always seem to be too much crowing for the roos alone to be doing. Now I know there's at least one female who crows.

I read that an old when can crow when a rooster is not around.
gig.gif
hide.gif

What a tomboy!

Last edited:
I know it happens....but will it be forever? Of all things, I can't have a rooster, or a hen that sounds like a rooster! I could get in trouble for the noise.

Is there such a thing as HRT for a hen?
lol.png

I'm so glad to read about this! Just this morning my son said that he heard crowing. Our chicks are 8 weeks old, so I was sure that we would know if there is a rooster by now.

We went out and let them all out, but one stayed in the coop and made funny noises, kind of like crowing. But she didn't stretch her neck. We got a good look at her and she didn't look any different than the others.

Should we be sure by now? Is it still possible?

My Great Grandma said that crowing hens were bad luck. I've shared this story before, but I've got to tell it again!

When my sister and I were about 7 and 5 years old, we were at Grandma's house, outside and playing with her kittens. Well, all of a sudden Grandma jumps up and says, "I just heard her crow again!" Then she goes across the yard, catches the hen, and wrings her neck. We are traumatized and went running back home. HAHA! She had to call us later and tell us why she had killed the chicken. I'm pretty sure she ended up eating her that night.
tongue.png

Quote:
Yikes! Well, I'm not doing that! I would have been traumatized too.

I think my hen feels the need to pretend she's a rooster. She was always the top hen of a flock of 3. OK. Now I have 4 thirteen week olds that are slowly getting initiated into the flock. I think this transition is getting her all boyed up.

I just hope it's temporary. I really don't know what to do if she keeps it up.
sad.png

Do exactly what greens family farms granny did...in front of the kids they need to know how it is on a real farm...we are about to eat my rooster! Breaks my heart but thats what he gets for being a boy! We only want hens! Show them where the nuggets come from...lol...I am just onrey this morning!

Quote:
Nah, I'm a wuss. I'm not on a farm or big hunk of property either. My yard is 100' x 100'. Each neighbor's house on either side of my house is VERY CLOSE. I don't have small children now either.

I respect my Ruby for being who she (?) is. I'm just hoping this is temporary. If she does this once in a while to establish her place on the throne, that would be OK. I can't have her do this all the time though. Does anyone know if this is a temp thing?
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom