$30 Automatic Chicken Coop Door Plans

cfabe

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 17, 2009
After much searching for a commercial door opener that wasn't $200+ I decided to just build my own. It uses a cordless screwdriver for the motor and some inexpensive electrical parts to control it. Cost was around $30. Works great so far. I wrote a how-to article detailing the design which is available on my blog here: http://www.fabiens.org/ckblog/?page_id=106
I also put a short video of it's operation on youtube here:

Door1.JPG

Ok, I looked at the video. If the control mech is just a cord hooked to an electric screwdriver, wouldn't a raccoon be able to just lift up the door.

Maybe I'm missing something, but this looks way insecure to me.

Nice work Chris. I went through similar steps and equipment to make my door. My latest is a guillotine style door like yours. I found it was more secure than a top hinged door.
I like your use of the electric screw driver. I found a low rpm (30) motor on ebay and paid 5 bucks more including shipping.

You might seek out a shaft coupler to connect the screwdriver shaft rod to a rod spool that is smaller in diameter. I just found some couplers and I will incorporate it into my next auto-door design.

moac_coupler_120.jpg

Dave

Last edited:
The door opens into a completely fenced run, so I am not terribly concerned about raccoons. Also, the door has a sill on the outside so a coon could not get his paw under the door to lift it. However, my wife had the same concern so I have an idea for an automatic latch that I am going to be trying out today. I will update the post if it works out.

I added an automatic latch to the door to prevent it from being opened by lifting from the outside. It's just a counterweighted lever that engages a pin beside the door. When the opener lifts the door, it pulls on the lever to unlatch it before the door moves.
P1040037.JPG

Youtube video:

Back
Top Bottom