1st Timer w/ slaughtering Chickens any advice?

Iamaqte

Songster
12 Years
Jul 11, 2007
Riegelsville, Pa
Hi! I would like to take out some of my roosters and am not sure where to begin. Can u eat any breed of chicken?

I talked to my step dad and he said he would "chop their heads off" so i don't have to see that.. After that I am fine.. What do i do from there??

Any help would be appreciated... If i get this done right I might just get some chickens for slaughter:)

I am so glad you posted this question. I am planning on culling chickens later, Not my new babies those are for laying. I was thinking though that I would hatch out chicks and then the roosters I would cull when they were big enough. We mostly eat chicken anyway and I can't see buying it if we have a supply right here at home that is hormone and yuck free. I was also thinking of doing the same with turkeys. I can't answer your question but I will be checking this post for answers. I would like to hear how people do it and what there first time was like.

I'd like to know for Turkey's too becuase eventually I would like to raise them for food. I LOVE TURKEY!! And we eat a lot of chicken too.. so hopefully we can get some good descriptive responses.

I know that someone posted pics. one time but I would like step by step instructions LOL I am a little intimidated by the process and being a first timer I am afraid I'll get started and chicken out.
tongue.png

This is what we do

- take off the head and bleed them out
- boil a huge pot of water and dunk the bird in neck first. Don't keep it in there too long, just a minute or the meat will begin to cook.
- pluck the feathers.
- take out the intrals.
- wash well, check for pin feathers.
- soak in cold water.
- wash inside and out again making sure you got the lungs out.
- bag them for the freezer.

Here is my post when i did a batch last month -

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=18818

Check the thread "Is my rooster good to eat?" a few thread's down right now. It has links to some good 'how to butcher' sites.

Any chicken/roo can be eaten. Their age affects their tenderness... so older ones should be aged/marinated before cooking.

Back
Top Bottom