Guinea pigs as meat

Wolf-Kim

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
Okay, so the subject of guinea pigs as livestock came up in the other thread. To avoid offending anyone wanting to share their pet pictures, we created this thread.

Quote:
Are those guinea pigs "free ranging"? Also, how does the "guinea pig ladder" work? Just by fear of the drop they stay on the shelf?

Just curious! I've heard of guinea pigs being used for eating. They were one of the meats that were considered "economical" like quail and rabbit. If this offends anyone, I can move it to another thread. ((Kind of curious to see the pics of guinea pig on a plate.)) You know what? I'll go ahead and start another thread. Spectrum, will you give me your input on the "new" thead?

THANKS!
-Kim

Last edited:
I have no problem with people eating meat, and raising their own. Chicken, duck, rabbit, goat, cow, etc.

I do think that the social norms of the US do not include the eating of guinea pig. In the US it is pet. Now if this were Peru, that would be a different matter.

Yep. Guinea pigs are a staple diet in Central and South American countries like Peru
smile.png

i don't think it is wrong when poeple eat guinea pigs i just think it is wrong when they kill them for no reason at all!

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/10/19/world/main650148.shtml

"It
is a dining experience that normally requires two hands to pick scant, sinewy meat from a bony carcass" <---- This is the part that I usually imagine when picturing eating guinea pigs. Having grown up with beef, lamb, goat, and whatnot, I have trouble looking at my pet guinea pigs and thinking they have any power to fill me up without me having to buy or breed at least 20 more. I have thought that they look like they might be tasty, and I'd like to try it, but I'm a bit ashamed to admit that guinea pigs are the one animal where the cuteness factor does come into play when it comes down to being able to eat one or not.

Back
Top Bottom