lice dander?bv

artsyrobin

Artful Wings
15 Years
Mar 1, 2009
Muskogee OK
hi everyone, i spent most the day de-licing my silkie pullet- she has a bad leg, so can't preen well. So i began brushing what i thought was dust off her, to find it was lice- so i got them cleared off of her, baths and oil, but that leaves the dander- how do i get it off? i've trimmed her head feathers, but an still having problems getting it off

090509008.jpg

090509005.jpg

1.jpg

A few more washings and maybe a tooth brush may help, else time will have them fall out. That said, watch out for any pin feathers, they naturally have a "dander" about them that comes off when the feather is mature, and if you break it too low, it can cause the feather to bleed.

well, it looks like the dawn is helping break them down, but i will be careful with them - my tendancy is to keep working on it, but if they have dried out, are the eggs dead? i did dust her with permethin, and her flock mates-

No, the eggs are still very much alive. That is why you need to retreat in a week to 10 days--you may need to keep doing this for awhile.

There are a few products that will kill the eggs, but most won't.

ok, she was so infested, i am really shocked- how fast does it take for them to matt the feathers around the wattles? thats where i am working on her now, at first i thought i could just comb them out, after applying dawn and waiting a little bit they are loosening up, and she doesn't mind the laptime, should i be bathing her routinely also? i have only had her a month, and she had an old leg injury when i got her, that is slowly getting better, but she hasn't been able to preen well, not able to stand on her left leg- i have videos on flickr- anyway, was thinking maybe that might have contributed to the problem

here is the link to her pics and videos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rgortonart/sets/72157621771410087/

Back
Top Bottom