It Is Possible 4 Hen To Lay Egg Without Shell?

radiodog

Songster
10 Years
Jan 1, 2010
Summerfield NC
I guess gathered 13 eggs but I noticed there was yolk all over a few (the hens are all laying in the same nest). I didn't find any egg shells whatsoever anywhere...inside the coop or outside the coop. I thought maybe it was a broken shell but I washed every egg and found none broken. Any ideas?

Yes it is possible. I've had the same thing happen, except it went like: I found two eggs in the nest and a third was, well, a yolk and its white. No shell, no membrane - Just that. They were still connected as if just spilled right there, nice and intact - So they were easy to scoop out, but the yolk eventually broke over my fingers.

I've also run into some "shellless eggs" before that the yolk and white were still encased by the thin membrane on the inside of what normally would be a shell there.
smile.png

Oh yes...I've had one or two when my girls first started laying. I watched one "do" it while she was sitting on the roost. They also went through a few jello eggs (membrane only), and a few tissue paper shell egg. They all seem to be on track now though...
smile.png
Oh...ALL of my mishaps are on the roost...never in the nest box. It's like they know there's a problem with them and it's not "real" laying.

I took some crushed dried egg shells (a favorite) mixed with scratch out to them...maybe a little extra calcium will be beneficial.

When my girls first started laying, I would get shell-less eggs frequently. They all started laying in a short period of time, and sometimes I would get 4 or 5 shell-less eggs. Most of mine were like jello eggs, but a couple where like eggs that were cracked into a frying pan...firm yolk, sturdy white, but no shell at all. All except 1 of these were layed from the roost onto the droppings board, and one shell-less one in the nest box. After a few weeks, they began to disappear. I have only had proper eggs now for months. I do offer free choice oyster shell since my first bird started laying.

I have 9 hens, no roosters. One of my girls consistently lays an egg with a paper thin shell or no shell at all. She has been laying for about 4 weeks now, she is about 23 weeks old. They all eat layer crumble, oyster shell grit mixed in, occasional treats of grapes or scrambled eggs with the shells. They always have fresh water and free range all day long. When I have experimented with crumbled up dry cat food, she seems to lay a somewhat normal egg. She is a fairly large RIR, gets plenty of exercise and looks very healthy. Roughly 3 hours before sunset she will start her penguin stance, sleep standing up, lay down with her tail feather bumped up. She seems miserable when this happens. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom