Soft egg

Joshischicken

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 18, 2007
Hey i was just wondering if someone can help me out i went to close my hens up for the night and i looked in there nest box like i always do and there was 10 normal eggs plus one egg that was very soft and rubbery almost like and it broke when i picked it up what usually causes soft eggs like this please let me know

I had a soft egg 2 days in a row. I put out oyster shell and 2 days later all is normal again. The other eggs seem twice as hard however.....but they still break for us. I removed the oyster shell and just have grit down now. That has the oyster shell in it too to help it keep up I guess. Worked great in a short amount of time.
wink.png

Put some Apple Cider Vinegar with the mother (the stuff on the bottom, like Sangria) in their water and add the calcium. I use the Oystershell calcium for pet birds that I get at Petsmart. Give that free choice and it'll firm up them shells really quickly.
And, BTW, you CAN eat rubber eggs. I have. You just have to eat them really quickly before they dry out. If you're squeamish scramble it up and give it to the birds as a treat.

every hen will lay these every once in a while. there is nothing to worry about, most of the time it is in younger chickens but even the best layers will lay them from time to time

hello we are having the same Problem with our chickens what is the rule for Apple Cider Vinegar in the water how much do we put into their water ??? how many mls per liter as we are from australia

Hi fellow Aussie,
I occasionally put a capful of ACV in their 3 L water, and almost every day they get a capful spilled over two decent sized bowls of mash.

my dad grew up around a chicken farm and he says put the egg shels in the oven or something till it is esay to break and to make sure to crush up evry pice of the shell the chickens are samrt and will figuar out that they can eat the eggs it sucks when they do

Back
Top Bottom