Home made laundry soap?

jmk3482

In the Brooder
12 Years
Nov 30, 2007
Troy, MO
Hello, everyone. I'm going to start researching soap making. I usually can't use cheap soap to wash myself with because I have HARD water and very dry skin. So I have to use Dove or an extremely moisturizing soap to avoid itchy skin. BUT, I usually use the cheapest laundry soap I can find, and it occured to me that I may be able to make my own.

I decided to ask here because everyone is so helpful and I know a lot of you are on the self-sufficient/green side.

Does anyone here have any resources that might be helpful? And what about home made anti-static sheets and dish soap? I like anti-bacterial dish soap. Are those possible?

Thanks!!

big_smile.png

Quote:
Cheak out my blog for homemade laundry detergent recipe:
southernessencefarms.blogspot.com (direct link in my signature)

Last edited:
Quote:
It's very hard to find. Sometimes Walmart has it. I've seen it on Ebay. Look for the Arm and Hammer brand...orange box.

Edited to add: Actually I think it's a yellow box...

Last edited:
Here's some info about commercial (store bought) soap and why it dries out your skin:

Why use handmade soap?

The benefits of using handmade soap are many.

Natural handmade soaps are made with natural oils, have a high glycerin content, are better
for the environment with no detergents or phosphates, and are never tested on animals.

More natural. Handmade soaps are made with natural ingredients, not petro-chemicals or
cheap additives. Handmade soap has a naturally occurring glycerin which is known to be
beneficial to the skin. Many soap manufacturers remove this valuable glycerin. You get this
skin loving glycerin in the handmade soap process - Almost like getting a 2 for 1.

Skin is the largest human organ and is the bodies first line of defense against dehydration,
temperature, infection and harmful substances. Handmade soaps give your skin the care it
deserves and make bathing a gentle, soothing experience.

Why you SHOULDN'T use Store Bought Soap.

Commercially made soap usually contains detergents, fillers, chemicals, petroleum, high
animal fat content, and irritants. Commercially made soap tends to be less eco friendly as
well. While commercially manufactured soap usually costs less, the impact on your skin and
the environment is less than desirable.

Most soaps available in the store today are not really soaps at all, but detergents. Detergents
are a petroleum based product, like gasoline and kerosene. Detergents tend to leave your
skin feeling dry, itchy and tight. Alkali, the most common irritant in soap is most often blamed
for this effect. Other ingredients in mass-marketed soap have been proven harmful to human
health and can cause severe skin irritations in some people. These include ingredients such
as DEA, Isopropyl Alcohol, BHT and Triclosan (commonly found in anti-bacterial soap). The
most common ingredient in conventional bar soaps is sodium tallowate. It is the natural
product of combining tallow, or beef fat, with lye. Tallow processes quickly, produces a
harder bar of soap and is cheap and plentiful making it attractive for mass producing and
marketing conventional soap.​

I have ahuge bag of glycerine that the kids and I use to make in molds for our family and friends for Christmas.

My parents that are getting older say its the only stuff they can use now.

My family is really trying to be more "green"

I put vinegar in spray bottles to use for cleaning.

I got neem oil for my dogs to help with fleas.

i can't afford health food stores

thanks for the information!!

Any ideas on natural stuff that makes the house smell better?
This house is old and when it gets warm you can smell its age
tongue.png

Quote:
Get an oil burner. I have "soap stone" (I think they're called) oil burners. Get some nice smelling essential oil. I use Lavender or Sweet Orange and burn the oil. There's a bowl on the top and a tea light burning under the bowl heating up the oil and filling the room(s) with the great scent.

DSC00194.jpg

DSC00195.jpg

DSC00196.jpg

The oil burners are cheap at Walmart.

Back
Top Bottom