I Hate Dachshunds!!!

Smittenroade

Songster
8 Years
Jan 31, 2011
North East Texas
Stupid weiner dog harrassed one of my chickens to death the other day...It's my brothers dog...
somad.gif
back in the day my grandfather would have taken it out and shot it. Everytime I look at that stupid weiner dog I get very very angry.
he.gif
I have trained my dog extensively not to mess with the chickens...but I cant train a dachshund not to hunt.
barnie.gif
.What should I do?
smack.gif
dachshunds are evil to the CORE!!!

I don't like them myself, but you said it yourself - they are hunters. I wouldn't call that "evil" I would call it instinct. Why was the dog allowed around your birds? If he lives with you, then you are as responsible as your brother to keep the two seperate. If he was visiting, he needs to keep his dog at home, or in the house where he can be supervised. I'm sorry you lost your bird.
hugs.gif

My brother shouldn't have a dog if he is never home to train him...I completely agree!!! but everytime I bring that up EVERYONE gets mad at me.
wee.gif
I am the only one in the house that gives the dogs ANY discipline and Ive tried and tried with the weiner dog to no avail.
hit.gif
I just dont have it in me to train a dog that killed my chicken.
idunno.gif

Why was the dog allowed around your birds? If he lives with you, then you are as responsible as your brother to keep the two seperate.

Well, because we live on a farm with lots of stuff running around, and the chicken happened to get out of the run when I wasn't looking. Maybe it would be best if the dog just dissapeared?
gig.gif

I'm so sorry to hear this. We have 7 dogs. 3 great pyrenees, one bird dog, a boston terrier, a chihuahua and a german wirehaired dachshund.

We train all our dogs in obedience. We can trust them with any of the animals.........EXCEPT THE DACHSHUND! We bought him for blood tracking, and that is what he does and he is good at it.

We have tried everything we can think of and we cannot break him from going after the goats or chickens. We have learned we just can't leave him loose around the animals. I think it's his nature, just like it's the nature of our bird dog to point birds. We never trained him to point, he just does it automatically. Our great pyrenees all guard the livestock. We didn't train them to do this, they just do it instinctually. I am inclined to believe it is somewhat instinctual for our dachshund to go after other animals.

i know this may sound bad but the people who live next door to us have one and i never worry about it getting one of my chickens because he too fat to run after them lol

Quote:
So sad...

That dog simply CANNOT be allowed to have contact with the birds, period, end of story. One bird dying a cruel terrifying death is one too many.

And if you don't have control over this, the kind and responsible thing to do would be to find a safe home for your birds, period, end of story. Sorry.
JJ

My neighbor used to have a pack of them ( this was before my chickens ) and these little dogs are fearless- one day not long after I moved into my house , three of them dug under the fence and attacked my German Shepherd Dogs - it was horrible I tried to get them away from my huge Shepherds , but in the end it was a large emergency vet bill ( for thier owner ) and hard feelings , I tried to make them see it was not my dogs fault they had to defend themselfs -

I must say I am happy they no longer have dogs and I still have German Shepherds that take watching the flock very serious.

hugs.gif

\ hey make these for little dogs, they can still pant when it is hot and drink when they are thirsty but can not grab anything with their mouths.
RwBbOOvJaL-1.jpg

I have 3 weiner dogs here 2 are my daughters ,one belongs to me and they are great hunters, i have no problem with them and my chickens but they were raised around them

Last edited:
Now now now - have had Dachshunds all my life - have two now and they dont bother the chickens - goats - or the cats. They were bred to be fearless and go to ground to hunt badger - it is in their blood - They are admittedly harder to train as many hounds - they do have a stubborn streak. I would blame the dogs owner more than i would the dog it doesnt know any better - jsut doing what comes natural to it. The owner should be training it - or at least keeping it away. Please dont say you hate them all - as my one is a therapy dog and visits nursing homes - childrens hospitals and if you met her - she is the sweetest thing in the world and wouldnt hurt a fly!

Back
Top Bottom