WTH is wrong with TSC? Chick purchasing nightmare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chickintexas

Songster
9 Years
Mar 19, 2010
Spring Branch
My neighbor called me to inform me that TSC had just received their shipment of RIR today. I beat cheeks up there as soon as I got off the phone with her because she said the last shipment they received, they had sold out of chicks within two hours!
ep.gif

I immediately headed off to TSC. Sure enough, the chicks had only recently arrived because they were still in their delivery box. I let one older employee know that I was there for the RIR. She told me that I would have to wait 20 minutes after she placed them into the brooders because she wanted to make sure they were eating and drinking well. I told her that I had chicks at home in a brooder of their own and that's where the RIR were heading. Nope. No go. She made me wait. I've been to many feed stores as they were unloading the just delivered chicks and I have never, ever heard any of them once say that a customer had to wait to buy them. Most of the time, I've seen them go from the delivery box to the "take home" box.
It gets better.
When the 20 minutes (or so-she was taking her sweet time
roll.png
) was up, she comes over and gets ready to start grabbing chicks for me to place into my box. I asked her if I could pick out my own chicks. She told me no but she would "try" her best to grab the ones I wanted!!!
rant.gif
She said that it's TSC's new policy that only the employees could handle the chicks because of issues they've had in the past with children. Ummmm...I'm a freakin' adult the last time I checked and they know darn well that I raise chickens! I was insulted to say the least. If she wasn't going to grab the chicks I wanted, I was going to tell her to go pound sand and then I would have left.
So, I got the chicks I wanted, finally. I headed to the check out counter. Paid for my new fluffs-6 of them, of course. I was then handed a spiral notebook from the cashier and she said that I needed to write my name, address, and how many chicks I was purchasing. She went on to say that it was a new state mandate.
hmm.png
New one to me. I left false information. Whether or not it was a state deal, I didn't think it was anyone's business who I am, where I live, or how many chicks I was purchasing!
Has anyone else had any recent, weird issues with purchasing chicks from TSC?

Wow, what state are you in? I bought 6 bantams at TSC a few weeks ago. There are 2 stores in my area, and one was pretty rude to me when I called to see if they were in. They said that they quarantine them for a day before selling them, I don't think that's a bad idea... The other store actually took my phone number and called me when they came in. I went right down and the pullets were all gone
sad.png
They 'presold' them already (before they even came in). But I got 6 SR bantams and they were nice to me. I didn't have to give any info. I would've given them false info too, lol...
tongue.png

I have been checking out the TSC chicks for the past few weeks (couldn't buy any until this week though). I went in tonight and they had them all in a caged area so that no-one could touch them, until this time they had been in open bins. They also were not at all helpful about what was in any of the bins. I didn't buy any and am not sure about the "recording info", but that sounds odd to me. I mean, what are they going to do with the information? I am going to go back next week to see if they have any EEs. I will let you know if they ask for my "information".

In the past we have been able to touch the chicks at our store even though they had them off the floor where small kids could not reach them. monday we go in and the chick bins are surrounded by corral panels with locks, the sign says only employees can touch them. Rabbits as well. I think someone came down on them for some reason.

I believe I had to sign the notebook last year, This year I was not ask to sign. I thought last year maybe it was because I was tax exempt, but my sister had to sign too.

gosh, i know! they only carry two breeds at all the TSC's near me, and you have to order them. That's why I went to my local farm, trusty ol farm with people I know
smile.png
They said TSC is doing an "experiment." they carry the two breeds, and if you want other breeds you have to order them yourself in quantities of 25 or higher. Why oh why, TSC, couldn't you stay the sameeee???

I'm in Pa and I was able to catch my own chicks. I did have to sign "the book" at checkout though.

Quote:
Our TSC in Kentucky was the same this week with having gates around the birds. Really it is not a bad idea with the way some parents watch/or not their children. However if you are an adult I would hope I could pick my own out. Oh it was much easier to pass on buying them since I couldn't pick any up
lol.png

Yeah, the gates are new. The notebook is old. I made sure the chicks got food and water before I took them, though. I got sick of watching a chick getting cannibalized and finally asked for my 10 and left. Freaking guy threw a mushed chick, laying on it's back and mostly dead, in with about 35-40 other chicks. Made me sick watching one in particular drag that poor guy around - by the time I left, almost all it's toes on one foot was gone. The guy wouldn't let me pick my chicks, but I made sure I didn't get the cannibal.

Quote:
Our TSC in Kentucky was the same this week with having gates around the birds. Really it is not a bad idea with the way some parents watch/or not their children. However if you are an adult I would hope I could pick my own out. Oh it was much easier to pass on buying them since I couldn't pick any up
lol.png

Yeah I was at my tsc in hurricane WV and they had them gated off all it did was keep me from buying more chicks and ducks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom