The color Lavender - attn FluffnStuff

Lavendar is popular in OEGB. I hear they have lavender silkies, they have lavender cochins in the UK, porcelain d'uccles are lavender based, there is also lavender mottled OEGB. There is also lavender ameracaunas and I hear they are working on white crested lavender polish.

Also, several lavender bantams are referred to as Porcelain. Same gene, different name.
wink.png
A friend of ours has porcelain pyncheon.

Jody

Yoletrapper,
Yes, Lavender can be in any breed. I have had Lavender Silkies, Lavender Ameraucana bantams, and right now I have Lavender Ameraucana Large fowl, Lavender Araucana american type and working on them to make them tufted rumpless, and I have Lavender Araucana UK type look-a-likes. Sold my Sumatras or I'd have Lavender Sumatras in good time. First you need the gene and that is easy if you are working on a bantam breed but there are very few Large fowl with the Lavender genes so you'd have to build one up from bantam stock first. It should only take about 5 to 10 years till you get there. I had a Lavender OE large fowl hen but she had extra genes that I did not want to clean up so she had to be sold.
I just seen some albinos in an Australian site and a black albino appears to have the soft grey color similar to a Lavender. Maybe you can find an albino chicken that lives long enough to breed. I really think it was some type of Pheo dilute myself because it didn't have red eyes but I don't have the chicken to breed it to know it's exact genetic background. It also appeared to be a sexlink gene but that would have to be proven after breeding it several years. Good luck in you quest, Harry
PS just hatched 13 Lavender Ameraucanas this weekend.

Last edited:
Interesting.

What, if anything, will/would it take for lavendar Ameraucana to become "recognized" or "accepted" or whatever the correct term is as a "Variety" of Ameraucana.

Do they conform to all of the other aspects of the standard except for color?

Very curious.
Do you have pictures?
They must be gorgeous...

Susan

<<Lavender is also called Self Blue, and it's also a popular color in d'Anvers.>>

So then, "self blue" is the lav gene, and "blue" is the Bl gene?

Thanks for the info on "porcelain" Jody.

Angela

P.S.- Really hoping FluffnStuff will chime in here on which genes were used to create the beautiful grey silkies she has.

Last edited:
Susan,
They meet the qualities of Ameraucanas, some of mine may be over the standard size by a few pounds but I have some other that are at the right weight.
You need 5 breeders I believe for 5 years to have them accepted but you should search the Ameraucana site to be sure.
I know John Blehm is working on them and maybe one other person beside myself. John has sold several large fowl Lavender chicks to some other breeders of the Ameraucana club when they ordered chicks from him. So now there should be at least 5 people working on them. This is my second season with them. I have not sold any one any chicks since I only had one pair of breeders and have one young pair that meets the standard from them. I have about 20 + Lavenders now but have to wait till they grow up.
I may have a few trios this year in Sep/Oct that I will sell if they are good enough. Harry

Quote:
Thanks, Harry. After I asked my question I went about Googling and checking at the Ameraucana Breeders Club site and saw that there really is a very interesting project going on in the area of Lavender Ameraucanas. I'm fascinated. Thanks for the tip, and I will keep an eye on your Fall offerings just in case you are parting with any eggs or birds.

Susan

Back
Top Bottom