HeShee, another golden comet, who I think is a roo:

heShee_face.jpg

heshee_body.jpg

A younger heshee:
Hettie.jpg

A group shot of the girls:
girls_8wks.jpg

Last edited:
Deb, are any of your chicks showing alot of wattle development to go along with those combs? The first 3 pics are kinda blurry so it's hard to tell. Also, does your white cochin's tail come to a pretty sharp point? I'm sorry to answer your question with more questions, but I don't wanna steer you wrong either.

Gritsar,

I posted some other pics that I took with a better camera. I think I got a decent picture of the cochin's tail. It doesn't come to a fine point but it is rather pointed. Something tells me you are going to tell me it may also be a roo. It doesn't have a comb like the others but its comb probably started getting pink before any of the others.

Ginger and HeShee both have large combs but neither have real large wattles although they are beginning to show.

What do you think?

Deb

Okay, don't shoot me if I'm wrong
hmm.png
, but....I do think the cochin is a cockerel. Can you keep him if it is? Such an beautiful bird!
Ginger, a girl. HeShee, also a cockerel. And your younger heshee, also a roo.
I hope I'm dead wrong for your sake. Betcha in another two weeks or so you'll clearly see the differences yourself. Good luck.

HeShee (young and old) is the same bird. I've always thought he was a roo. If I have to choose between the Cochin and HeShee, I would choose the Cochin. HeShee is NOT friendly at all and very aggressive. The Cochin isn't very friendly but isn't super aggressive. Since I only have six chickens, I don't think it would be very fair to the hens to keep more than one rooster. I've had my suspicions about the Cochin but couldn't be sure. No one is crowing yet but we have a lot of swacking and clucking go on
smile.png

Quote:
Well, at least I picked the same sex for both pics right?
big_smile.png

I think you are wise to only keep one roo. I was originally suppose to have 21 pullets and 2 cockerels, but since I ended up with extra roos, I'm going to push it with 16 hens to 2 roos. If I end up having problems then it's definitely my dark roo that will be going to a new home. I couldn't part with my light roo, Zeus.
By the way, here's what I try to look at total to decide hen or roo: The comb of course. Also wattle development. The thickness and length of the legs. The wing bow feathering (before they are totally feathered) and finally the tail feathers. The males seem to come up to a point, while the females is a little more spread out.

Thanks! I'm going to keep a close eye on the cochin. I've been pretty certain about HeShee since he was about 2 weeks old..his behavior gave him away. The first time I took them outdoors, he was the one that went out first and challenged our dogs. That convinced my husband.

The chicks were suppose to be pullets and sold as red sexlinks. After they started growing, I decided they were the golden comet strain which then, by coloring, meant HeShee was a roo.

I'm not sure if the cochin is all cochin or a cross. I think it was the freebie and when we picked our six out at TSC, we just happened to pick that one. Whether it is a pullet or cockeral, it's a pretty chick!

Thank you for your input on the sex.

Back
Top Bottom