My homemade kill station in action (pics)

Fredster

Songster
12 Years
Feb 21, 2007
Alabama
We processed our first chicken (a 17-month-old Ameraucana who'd stopped laying) a week ago Friday. That first slaughter was a little willy-nilly: she was dispatched with a hatchet on a stump, hanged on a garden t-post to bleed out, and cleaned by me on a cutting board on our air conditioner.

Kind of redneck, but it worked.
smile.png

I set out this past Monday to build myself some sort of killing station, since we'll be pulling chickens from our flock instead of the store from now on. What I ended up with works better than I thought it would.

The basic design is that of a sawhorse. I made it short so I could lift it into a wagon and pull it wherever I wanted. On the top, I put some 2x4s to create holders for kill cones on one side and a base for a "table" top on the other. On one end, I built a T with hooks, to hang the chickens while I'm plucking them.

Here's what it looks like:

2601.jpg

On Friday, I decided to test out the station on our oldest rooster, because the younger roosters (his offspring) are starting to get randy with the girls and there have been some dustups. Here are a few pictures from the processing:

2605.jpg

Using the advice I got on a previous thread, I cut his jugular with a sharp knife. He bled out very quickly, with no squawking and no real flailing. Much less harrowing (for me!) than the hatchet was.
smile.png

2607.jpg

After swirling him in the hot water, I hung him on a hook using a bungie. Plucking him was difficult because of his age, but it wasn't THAT bad.

2610.jpg

The pigs were quite interested in the smells blowing toward them. They make fine disposal units when I'm done with a chicken. The surface above that the cutting board is on is 1x4s laid across the 2x4 pieces.

2621.jpg

I still need to decide what I'm going to do to protect the wood. Either seal it or poly it, I suppose.

I'm very pleased with how well it worked. Usually I screw things up the first time.
smile.png

I vote for High gloss poly!!! then it will up-town baby.

plus if you haven't permanently mounted the traffic cones you can still use them to guide cars for that " big 4th o july party"
wink.png

You did a great job and that is an excellet idea! I may have to borrow it.

Tell me about the pigs - you toss the raw innards over to them? or do you cook it all first?

Quote:
I'm sure someone will come along and tell me how wrong I am for doing this, but I pitch them everything: heads, feet, innards, and even feathers. They eat it all except for the largest feathers, and they like it so much they fight over it.
smile.png

as long as you arent planning on raising baby pigs,they have a tendency to eat their babies after eating raw meat,not always but they will sometimes

Great idea!

Sure looks a lot better than MY station - old stump with nails, using a milk jug for a killing cone and hanging the bird up on the old dog tie out...

Back
Top Bottom