Tell me about your internal layers

rooster-red

Here comes the Rooster
12 Years
Jun 10, 2007
Douglasville GA
Please tell me about your experience with internal layers, even hens that have died and you suspect they were internal layers.

Please try to include the following:
Breed

Age or suspected age

If they were hatchery or breeder birds if known

I need to collect as much info as possible, so please feel free to participate, and thank you in advance.

I have had one internal layer. She was a White Leghorn. Hatchery bird. About 6 months old when she got sick. She had been laying for about a month. One day an egg broke internally while she was laying. She seemed to get the shell out but stopped laying after that. She lived for about 3 months longer, never laying another egg. She had good days where she got out and scratched and hunted bugs and days she seemed to prefer to just rest in the door of the coop.
sad.png
We never felt we should cull her because she seemed to have a lot more of the good days than the bad, even though she seemed weaker and slower than the other chickens. She finally just went to sleep one night and didn't wake up the next morning.

Silver Laced Wyandotte Passed suddenly 2 yrs and a couple of months old

Silver Laced Wyandotte Passed away after wasting away for weeks. 2 years 6 months old

Rhode Island Red Euthanized after same exact symptoms, wasting away in spite of eating constantly....2 years 8 months old

All the above were hatchery birds, all the same age, all from the same hatchery.

Did Layman's necropsy on the all three. In the first one, found loose yolk in abdomen. In the last two, found exactly the same thing, egg material built up in tubes, all other internal organs in glowing health. Classic internal laying.

Last edited:
I have one hen that is an internal layer. She is a Barred Rock, she is about a year and 2 months old and she was a shipped as a day old.

Hi Rooseter-Red!

Do you have an internal layer?

I have one RIR (Rosemary) that just passed away from this.
I'm not sure if you saw my thread or not. I will transfer it if someone will tell me how to do that.

She turned one yr old on April 11th, so she was about 1 yr & 4 months old.

She was a hatchery shipped chick received at one day old.

Yes, I bet there are more people out there that can contribute info would be helpful.

Sorry I have no info to add, I came in here to learn a bit about what an internal layer is. I randomly read about health things, hoping that if one of my girls has an issue I will already have an idea of what to do.

Smitty's Farm :

Hi Rooseter-Red!

Do you have an internal layer?

I have one RIR (Rosemary) that just passed away from this.
I'm not sure if you saw my thread or not. I will transfer it if someone will tell me how to do that.

She turned one yr old on April 11th, so she was about 1 yr & 4 months old.

She was a hatchery shipped chick received at one day old.

Yes, I bet there are more people out there that can contribute info would be helpful.

Here is a link to the thread that I believe she is talking about: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=81159

This is an old thread, but I'm losing my fourth hen to internal laying and I think a fifth is also doing it. All same age, all going on three years old, all same symptoms, all from the same hatchery. It's hormonal and nothing that can be done except expensive surgery to remove the mass of material and do a hysterectomy.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom