Administrator
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Dec 26, 2006
California - SF East Bay
My Coop
My Coop
I went out to close up the girls. A little later than usual (getting use to these nights that come sooner). As I was approaching the coop something didn't feel right then I heard a rustling. That's when the really bad feeling came over me and then I saw one coon. It slowly walked away, then I saw another and then another and another all walking out of my coop / run.

I quickly made sure there weren't any inside and locked everything up... in the process I saw our only duck dead in the run.

I ran to see where they were and saw them around my RIR hen. She was already past the point of saving so I jetted off and got my pellet gun. I was only able to get a shot off at one of them (I think I just made him mad) and by that time the hen was sound dead.

I went back to do a count and fortunately the other 7 hens were still okay. Two were on nest boxes and looked almost dead. I poked and prodded and they seemed okay.

After scouting around some more to see if I could find the buggers I went and set the "have a heart" trap. Hopefully I'll get at least one of them tonight!

I just hate raccoons!

So sorry. I too have been out a little later to put the chickens to bed since it gets dark earlier. You have reminded all of us to get out there on time.

Sorry you lost your duck and RiR hen.

I am sorry to hear of your loss. Things are so out of whack lately with the predators, they're getting so bold, and with the time and weather changes, its so hard to predict what they're going to do? Be careful, here we are seeing behaviors in animals that we havent seen before, and they are coming out of the hills like never before.

Stay safe, and take care........
Tina/tfpets

Caught One!

I put out the trap right after the incident. I baited it with raw bacon, a piece of the hen they had torn off (sorry, but I really was mad and wanted to help guarantee a catch) and mini marshmallows.

This morning we awoke to a pretty young coon in the trap. The last time we had a young one in the trap like this the mom and other babies kept coming by at night to check on it.

I'm wondering if I should leave it in the cage until this evening to see if it will lour the others close enough for me to get a shot at, or if I should just reset the trap.

What do you think?

Oh, and here is a pic of the little killer. I hate that they are so cute, but I hate that they kill my chickens even more!

2_coon-trap.jpg

glad you caught it
bun.gif

i dont know what to say on getting the others. i know what my husband would say he would do what ever it took to protect any live stock we have fed and raised from babies! especially ones that give back to us with eggs, milk, etc!

best of luck on the other boogers!

wendy

I posted earlier this week about a coon that got into my own home! It came in through a 2nd story clerestory window... we don't have any idea how it got up there! It got into a room where I have a couple of older cats who moved to the country from the city with me. Thankfully the cats were unharmed but the coon made a mess of the room.

The next night I set a live trap, and caught one of 3 young coons that are still hanging with the mother. Mom coon kept pacing and trying to get to her baby; I was worried that she'd tear up our Trex deck boards... so when she got close enough DH took a shot at her with a pellet gun. It was mignight and we didn't want to use anything louder because we figured it'd worry our neighbors. (Even though we've on 10 acres, the sound of a shot carries pretty well).

I know she was alive after the shot because I could hear her growling down below the deck. In the morning I looked and didn't find her or any trace of her being injured. BUT, she hasn't been back.

Congrats on catching the one... I hope the others stay clear of your property!

Back
Top Bottom