Administrator
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Dec 26, 2006
California - SF East Bay
My Coop
My Coop
Okay everyone, after years of talking about it, and finally coming up with a general plan, I've developed the Beta version of the auto coop door closer. If you had to buy the 3 main parts new (timer, actuator, AC adapter), they wouldn't cost you more than $15.

Here are the original plans for the automatic chicken coop door.

Here's the video of it in action (narrated by my very own 5 year old Alana)

Keep in mind, this is just a beta version for proof of concept! In the next versions I'll try to slow down the door decent, clean everything up, and put it on a better looking chicken coop!
roll.png
wink.png
big_smile.png

I'll work on more details later, but right now I'm off to a Fall Harvest Festival at church. I'm happy to know I can set this thing and know my girls will be locked up safe when I get home!

big_smile.png

UPDATE: Here are all the details and lots of pics of the design: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/auto-coop-door-prototype.php

I like this inexpesive plan... Have you figured out how to make it open in morning and then close at night?

Also how is the door locked when closed. Thanks, Donna

All details will hopefully come today (if I can get this BYC University shirt order finalized).

Adding the ability to open the door automatically will tripple (if not more) the difficulty and complexity of the system. I just need a system that will come in and guarantee a safe coop if we forget, or get home too late.

The door is secured by a pin that falls into place once the door drops. I'll post lots of pics once I get a chance.

You know, what might be a good door design is a revolving door.
300px-RevolvingDoorDiag2007.jpg

I don't know if chickens are smart enough to learn how to enter and exit something that is seemingly closed, or push through something.

But if you had a revolving door design, and then used something like a door lock actuator to lock the door in place at night, and then free it to turn in the morning, I think it would work.

What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom