Feedback on Learning Center "Treats Chart"

Pics
You did a great job- I especially like how you dealt with differing opinions on treats by having a general opinion column.

Here are some comments-

Cat Food- should not be fed long term--can be good extra protein during molting

Fish/seafood- raw or cooked - too much will give eggs off flavor

Pumpkin (and other winter squashes)- seeds are known to have natural worming properties

Rice- cooked only- Minute Rice or similar types have little nutritional value.

Sunflower seeds- good source of methionine which is especially important for feather growth

You mention flax seed in the sunflower seeds, but suggest it be it's own item....flax oil spoils easily, omega -3 source but too much will give eggs a fishy flavor.

Also, I would mention a "dinner leftovers" item. Only feed to chickens if it's still edible by people---watch salt content.

THANKS AGAIN for putting the list together in the first place!
Sandra

well...you all know how I feel on cat food and I have posted the links and reasoning behind my objections several times ...it can potentially be detrimental to your birds health and even deadly in the right circumstances and for this reason I feel it should be left off the chart (as when you put it on it is as if you are condoning its use) I will repost here one of the sources for my objection:
http://www.omri.org/Amino_acids_livestock.html
..."While it is nutritionally essential, methionine excesses are far more toxic to poultry than similar excesses of tryptophan, lysine, and threonine (National Research Council, 1994). Force feeding methionine to excess can result in death to chicks (National Research Council, 1994). A dosage of 2 g / mature cat / day (20 to 30 g / kg dry diet) for 20 days induces anorexia, ataxia, cyanosis, methemoglobinemia and Heinz body formation resulting in hemolytic anemia (Maede, 1985). ..."

Last edited:
Tuesday 1:53 PM EST

Thank you SandraChick and DLHunicorn! I just amended the Treats Chart to include your comments. Thank you!

Thank you for taking the time to make the snack chart. I love it!
I can't wait to print it out when it is complete.

The only thing I see is that you may want to note by potatos for new chicken owners is not to feed them the skins b/c they are poisonous to the chickens.

Thanks!
Kim

I read somewhere on here that newmans own organic cat food (wet) was good for the chickens or is it two schools of thought- I also have found some food at the pet store that is raw frozen that has a little chicken but mostly veggies - chicken duck qail eggs flax seed oil and stuff - my girls devour it but then I thought I had better check to see- if you all thought it was ok?

Smitty's Farm, I originally set up the chart so that in the section at the bottom, of what not to feed your chickens, I noted that raw potato peels are not acceptable. In the regular chart, I noted "cooked only".

Just so you don't think I was not making note of your suggestion.... Thank you for the feedback!

Great job Buff!!! course you must not have any southern redneck chickens since you left off the grits!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom