2 tablespoons salt
1 cup diced green pepper
1 cup diced red pepper
2-1/4 cups water
1-1/4 cups white vinegar
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1-1/2 teaspoons turmeric
1 teaspoon celery salt

Place zucchini, onions and salt in a large bowl. Mix well and cover. Refrigerate overnight. The next day, place mixture in a fine strainer. Drain well, rinse under cold water and drain again for one hour. Place mixture in a heavy pot and add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Sterilize jars (I use half-pints). Fill with relish, seal and process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

Hope you enjoy it
smile.png

What do you serve zucchini relish with?

I gotta Jump in here
I made 24 pints of this last year, we love it.
I have one left. We eat it on hamburgers, hotdogs etc.
Also when making potato salad and deviled eggs
ALSO
Tarter sauce and thousand island dressing
My zucks are about 2 inches long right now. Just in time to make more!
YUM

Our two favorite relishes are Zucchini Relish and Green Tomato Relish.

I'm just a bit overwhelmed with cherries. DH came home with 35 lbs!!! of free Bing cherries yesterday. Today we pitted several lbs for Maraschino Cherries and Cherry Jam.

We'll start canning cherries in light syrup using apple juice tomorrow.

Right now they seem like an endless mountain.
smile.png

Quote:
What do you serve zucchini relish with?

I gotta Jump in here
I made 24 pints of this last year, we love it.
I have one left. We eat it on hamburgers, hotdogs etc.
Also when making potato salad and deviled eggs
ALSO
Tarter sauce and thousand island dressing
My zucks are about 2 inches long right now. Just in time to make more!
YUM

I use them on all of the above mentioned and just about anything else you can think of that uses pickles or relish.

It is so yummy and today I am going to make Squash Relish which is made the same way.....just substitute the Squash in place of the Zuchinni. Try it....I promise you'll love it.
smile.png

squash relish might be what I am making this year. We had some plants come up in the compost pile. At first I thought YES! those are cantalope! Now I am thinking hmmmm I think those are zucks or yellow squash. I will love them no matter. I hope my neighbors will too. cause I think I have about 25 of them.
smile.png
Yesterday I bought a cantalope and planted it. haha! Thanks for the info
Julie

I found a Craigslist ad that listed 25-30 boxes of canning jars for $2 each. The person wants them GONE! I emailed & asked about them but havne't heard back.

I must have 25-30 BOXES of canning jars. Pints, quarts, quilted jelly jars, etc. you name it, I have it. I just want it gone. So I put in a price of $2.00 per box; but if you come and take it all, just pay me whatever you think is fair for the whole lot!

I am going to offer her/him $40 and see what they say! I'll go straight there from work if I have to!!​

I have this recipe for Green Tomatoe relish.....I have never made it so I don't know how good it is. Do any of you have have one that is really good
smile.png
thanks

Green Tomato Relish
Original recipe yield: 12 pints
• 24 large green tomatoes
• 3 red bell peppers, halved and seeded
• 3 green bell peppers, halved and seeded
• 12 large onions
• 3 tablespoons celery seed
• 3 tablespoons mustard seed
• 1 tablespoon salt
• 5 cups white sugar
• 2 cups cider vinegar

DIRECTIONS
1. In a grinder or food processor, coarsely grind tomatoes, red bell peppers, green bell peppers, and onions. (You may need to do this in batches.) Line a large colander with cheesecloth, place in sink or in a large bowl, and pour in tomato mixture to drain for 1 hour.
2. In a large, non-aluminum stockpot, combine tomato mixture, celery seed, mustard seed, salt, sugar, and vinegar. Bring to a boil and simmer over low heat 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Sterilize enough jars and lids to hold relish (12 one-pint jars, or 6 one-quart jars). Pack relish into sterilized jars, making sure there are no spaces or air pockets. Fill jars all the way to top. Screw on lids.
4. Place a rack in the bottom of a large stockpot and fill halfway with boiling water. Carefully lower jars into pot using a holder. Leave a 2 inch space between jars. Pour in more boiling water if necessary, until tops of jars are covered by 2 inches of water. Bring water to a full boil, then cover and process for 30 minutes.
5. Remove jars from pot and place on cloth-covered or wood surface, several inches apart, until cool. Once cool, press top of each lid with finger, ensuring that seal is tight (lid does not move up or down at all). Relish can be stored for up to a year.

Quote:
This happened to me last year,so I just gave it all away to family and friends and told them it was "Strawberry IceCream Topping'. Now this year they are all asking for more of it !!! It was very good.

Quote:
This happened to me last year,so I just gave it all away to family and friends and told them it was "Strawberry IceCream Topping'. Now this year they are all asking for more of it !!! It was very good.

This is a great example of "what they don't know won't hurt them"!

Alton Brown says you're supposed to make sure that the jam heats to 220 degrees to ensure that it'll set. I didn't know this last year (hence my "Cherry Almond Ice Cream Topping"...) but will make sure I monitor the temps this year.

ETA - Has anyone found a good deal on lids/flats? I really don't want to spend a fortune on those this year...

Last edited:
The cheapest I have found on lids/bands is at Dollar General (if you have one), the lids are $1 for 12 and the bands are $2 and they come with the lids. Like I said this is the cheapest I have found.

Hope you can find some.

Quote:

This is a great example of "what they don't know won't hurt them"!

Alton Brown says you're supposed to make sure that the jam heats to 220 degrees to ensure that it'll set. I didn't know this last year (hence my "Cherry Almond Ice Cream Topping"...) but will make sure I monitor the temps this year.

ETA - Has anyone found a good deal on lids/flats? I really don't want to spend a fortune on those this year...

Sorry haven't found any cheap lids.

But we had more strawberry topping on our ice cream tonight, and it really is quite yummy. I think part of my problem is that I added in berries and left out sugar. But it tastes yummy, anyway.

Last year I used my candy thermometer when I made blackberry jelly, and didn't use any Sure-Gel or pectic added at all.

Back
Top Bottom