Year Aged Aracaunas with 4 week old Sex-links and Leghorns???

babychickfarmer

Songster
12 Years
We just got some chickens...(obviosly the sexlinks and leghorn)9 of them. There doing great but we got offered 3 more chickens. They're a year old and they're Araucanas.. Whats going to happen. Are they're going to be any fights?? Anything I should worry about because if I get to decide if they come or not and I need to know if I shouldn't get them? Thank you!

Last edited:
sad.png
Come on somebody please help. I need to know by tommorow if I should get them or not. I only need to know what should I do when I introduce them to each other. Anythng special??

I would keep the babies and aracaunas separate til the babies have time to catch up. Then i would slowly introduce them when they are a few months old. I would try sneaking one in at a time, during nap time or feeding time in the run. I think it can be done with supervision.

First, I would not put them together right away. Mainly because you do not know if the newest chickens have any thing that your old chickens could get. After a week or two, I would introduce them through a fence and not let them together for a little bit. There are some very good threads here about introducing chickens. I will go find some links, as I am far from an expert here.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3127

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2053

Last edited:
There is a good chance the adult chickens will peck the babies, maybe injuring them or even killing them. I wouldn't get the 3 adults unless you have a way to raise the little ones separate. Good Luck

I don't have a big enough coop to seperate them in it and I have no were else to keep the babys while I raise them. If I was to get them I would HAVE to put them all together. So maybe I shouldn't get them?
sad.png
? I also want to add that the others (aracuanas) were free range and now we are going to coop them up. I know that they are going to be freaking out a little...will that effect if they are goin to be aggressive or not towards the 4/12 week old chickis. (they're about 5 or 6 inches tall now) << I just wanted to add that cause I'm hoping they'll be big enough to defend themselves?

Well, if it was me, i would REALLY not want to pass up the free Auracanas, but I would be afraid to try it. Shutting them up after they are used to free-ranging would make the situation even worse, I am sure, as they will be bored. If they ever peck one of the little ones and draw blood, the rest (even the little ones "siblings"), will peck at the blood till they have killed the little one, unless you happen to find it in time.
Maybe someone else will put in their experiences here, and maybe I am over-cautious. this is just my opinion. Good luck with whichever way you go.
One possibility, if where you are putting them, there are several places they can crawl into, or behind, to get away from the big chickens, this would help, but on the other hand, having to stay crawled behind something, and probably being afraid to come out and get food and water, wouldn't be much of a life for the young ones.

NO there isn't any where for them to hide....thats why we are goin to get them in a week or two and we are goin to build them a seperate coop. (the Araucaunas) We are goin tohave tem i the same run thoughI think...but if no then we are just goingto build another coop. When should I indrodue them though and how should I??

Hopefully someone else will pitch in here with some of their ideas. myself, I would be afraid to till the little ones are grown. But if you have them where they can see (but not get to) each other a while, they might be fine, as they will be sort of acquainted. Good luck.

I am dying for some Araucanas--where are you getting them from, and do you know if they have any more they would be willing to sell or give away? We're in Texas with a large free-range setup. Hope your chicks are doing well!

Back
Top Bottom