Quail in aquarium? I GOT THEM!

That is absolutely wonderful! I want one of those. I wonder if you could get the quail to set their own eggs in a set up like that? Just so nice.

That's the one. After watching that video I put an old basket with the handle removed in my quail's pen. They hang out in it sometimes. Mainly my little roo uses it as his "man cave" while the girls jump on top
tongue.png
The girls really like it when I throw some moss inside. They scratch the heck out of it.

img00123j.jpg

Last edited:
Thats not the pic I was referring too as I can't watch youtube videos on my dial up
sad.png
But I saw the picture of the video you guys watched and it appears to be what I am talking about! I want to try and set something up that looks decorative and nice and not just like a cage in the living room!

I thought I would use my 55 gallon and convert it as I only have 2 gold fish that weren't eaten at a stag and doe I was at. They were going to fluch them but I said NO I'll bring them home. Anywyas I thought I'd move them to something smaller and convert my tank. DH says no, he likes the aquarium! So Now I either need to buy another aquarium OR try to find the picture I was referring TOO thats on This site and convince him it would be beautiful!!!

But I have looked through so many threads that I haven't the slightest idea how I am going to find it now! ( I can't use the youtube pic as its too small to give him an idea of how beautiful it would be!

Here is an outdoor pen that uses natural foliage...
http://isotope.open.ac.uk/files/figures/quail-enclosure-figure-4.png

I couldn't find anything else.

I don't see why you couldn't use another aquarium or even make a pen and add plants in little pots, artificial plants, or natural branches, stone etc. Lots of poultry netting in wire comes in black now. Your eye tends not to see it so it wont look like a cheap cage. You could even do something cool like find an old TV cabinet and make a habitat in that. Ever see a tv aquarium? LOL

307michael1.jpg

I am trying to think of a way to do a cool looking indoor cage so I can have some quail at my print shop
big_smile.png

OHHH! The TV idea sounds great and quirky! I will have to look around and see what I can come up with! A cage in a room is unattractive at best but a mini quail habitat.... Beautiful!! How fun!

Use shavings and scoop it out. I have a 90gallon which is 48x18x24h" and there's no way in heck to move that thing when it's got anything in it. It takes 2 people when it's empty. However I'm used to 20-40sq ft guinea pig cages and various other rodents in cages that can't be moved. As well as chicks or quail in stock tanks and so on. My brooders can't be moved while full either. You just take a large cup, feed scoop, or whatever else and scoop the bedding out in to a trash bag, plastic storage container, etc... and haul it off to compost or trash.

I tried sand in my aquariums and it was horrible. The droppings sat on the top and stuck to the edges of the glass easily so it had to be cleaned every day or it looked really dirty and required a ton of scraping along the edges. The shavings will not be noticeably dirty for weeks because liquid soaks down in and the remaining dry droppings get turned over some rather than just forming lumps on the top. In the end the sand took more work and a lot more daily maintenance instead of just finding one day over a weekend to strip cages.

I think I may take on an ambitious challenge! I have an ornate but old cedar chest that I will plan to use as a base. I may try to Build a aquarium type pen to fit almost the exact dimensions. This thing will be huge if I can do it!

I wish I could just cut the front of the cedar chest out and apply plexiglass and put the quail inside. BUT since cedar shavings can make birds sick I'm sure that inside of a cedar chest would be equally as horrible!

Back
Top Bottom