What are you canning now?

I've made the clover jelly and some rose petal with honey jelly today. They are very delicate in flavor... no real POW. My mom says they have the 'floral after taste'. In fact after a little spooning of the clover, it seems a simple replacement for honey?! Again, the flavor is there, its just not in your face.

I also made Strawberry lemonade preserves, Strawberry Kiwi preserves and Rosemary jelly.

Did I mention how HOT and tired I am!
wink.png

I think I owe some pictures.

These are rosemary (with a rosemary clipping in them) jellies, and rosemary apple jellies (no clippings).
14084_rosemary_jellies.jpg

These are all the fruit and flower jellies I have done. Most of them were done today.
14084_jellies_may2010.jpg

Couple days ago I made apple cinnamon jelly, it looks pretty but its not jelling very well. Today I made Apple Pie Jam. its already set up and is oh so yummy.
50660_dscn1367.jpg

50660_dscn1365.jpg

Quote:
That's A LOT of jellies in just a couple days! You've been busy!

I made 2 batches of strawberry jam yesterday - made 18 total jars. And I prepared the fruit for pineapple jam, but ran out of time. I refrigerated it overnight and will finish today. After that I'll be baking for this afternoon.

#1California Chick :

Quote:
Apple Pie Jam???? Where is the recipe???

I just have to admire all you ladies that can great stuff year round!!!!

Cindy

This was actually only my second attempt at canning. I used to help my mom pickle asparagus but never did anything on my own til now.
Here is the recipe i used.... I didnt put in raisins. It would taste awesome on vanilla ice cream

6-1/2 cups prepared fruit (buy about 2-1/2 lb. Granny Smith or other tart green apples)
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground allspice
1 box Pectin
1/4 tsp. butter or margarine
4 cups granulated sugar, measured into separate bowl
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar

BRING boiling-water canner, half full with water, to simmer. Wash jars and screw bands in hot soapy water; rinse with warm water. Pour boiling water over flat lids in saucepan off the heat. Let stand in hot water until ready to use. Drain well before filling.
PEEL and core apples; finely chop or grind fruit. Measure 6-1/2 cups prepared fruit into 6- or 8-qt. saucepot. Stir in water, raisins, lemon juice, cinnamon and allspice.
STIR pectin into prepared fruit in saucepot. Add butter to reduce foaming. Bring mixture to full rolling boil (a boil that doesn't stop bubbling when stirred) on high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in sugars. Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 4 min., stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with metal spoon.
LADLE immediately into prepared jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with two-piece lids. Screw bands tightly. Place jars on elevated rack in canner. Lower rack into canner. (Water must cover jars by 1 to 2 inches. Add boiling water, if necessary.) Cover; bring water to gentle boil. Process 10 min. Remove jars and place upright on a towel to cool completely. After jars cool, check seals by pressing middles of lids with finger. (If lids spring back, lids are not sealed and refrigeration is necessary.)​

Last edited:
Does anyone have a pic posted of Apple Jalapeno Jam jarred up? I would like to make some but would love to see in the jar first.
I made apple pie jam last year and it is so good on vanilla bean ice cream, you will have to try it that way. I had one batch not fully set up and it was perfect for an ice cream topper.
Here is the recipe I use: http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Best-Apple-Pie-Jam-100315 I got so many requests for this after giving it away for Christmas, everyone loved it!

Quote:
Here is some that I made last year and it is gone in no time. I also make the Jalapeno Apricot and this year I need to make at least 5 dozen jars just to fill the wants and needs of family and friends.

31219_p9190085.jpg

Sandee

Oh my goodness!!! I am in heaven!!! Chickens and Canning...what a wonderful site!!!!! Somebody quick tell me how to find recipe's on here....I am starting to go back thru the pages...but the Rosemary Jelly really caught my eye!!!

I can every year...have for 30+ and love it as much today as ever!! Need to clean off my canning porch next week and get it organized...spinach and peas will probably be the first things I do from our garden this year!!

So glad to have found this!! Wonderful!!

Back
Top Bottom