My smelly chicken run...

In some of my other posts I cautioned people with asthma, emphasema and other breathing disorders to be careful or avoid using it. Sorry for the rant, didnt mean to sound the way I did (after rereading my posts)!
You made a lot of good points!

Galloway,

Thanks for your post... I hadn't even thought about getting the dust into my lungs. Of course, my new chicks are still in their brooder waiting for a coop to be built!
smile.png
But I'm sure I'll use the DE eventually.

So thanks for the heads up!

Carla

Galloway venom I think venom is obsorbed through mucus membranes and it would not be a great idea to ingest it at all. I am not sure about the DE I am carful not to breath in to much of it but I am also skeptical thanks for the warning.

Henry

I dont think I would want to injest venom.. not alone get a snake that close to my face..

But I dont think I want to breath de either.. I havent been having much luck with the de.. I have sprinkled (carefull to sprinkle low as not to breath it) 3 days in a row now and not a lot of change..
roll.png

I think I might get some lime..

Ya don't go drinking venom. Bad idea. But the way venom works it is "safer" to drink venom then to be bitten.

qoute from a medical document http://web.singnet.com.sg/~chuaeecc/venom/venom3.htm

"Yes, some people drink the venom and claim immunity against scorpion venom. This is untrue. Fact is drinking scorpion venom in an individual without oral, stomach or intestinal ulcers/bleeding is without much effect. Drinking snake or scorpion venom without effect IS normal. They, unlike poisonous animals eg. puffer fish, can be consumed without problem except at incredible high dose."

Both DE and lime take time to work. I would sprinkle it down and wait a week and then check for less smell, and to see if it is helping dry things up. Think of DE and lime like putting baking soda in a fridge. You put one box in there and leave it for a couple months. You don't keep adding a box everyday till the smell is gone. Give it time to work.

Cheers

Nick

Last edited:
I've tried everything to get rid of the smell from dirt in the chicken run. Last week with all the rain it was reeeeally bad. I tilled it a bit and sprinked a 5lb. bag of baking soda over 120 sq ft of area and worked it in. I covered the area with a bed of straw. Wow what a difference. no smell. I bought the baking soda at a dicount store for about $5.00. A week later and it still smells pretty good out there. I also tarped over the run while it contiued to rain. Good luck, I hope this helps someone else.

Back
Top Bottom