Video: Reba Squat-Walks ~Update ~ RIP, Beautiful Reba

Another update on Reba: SEMI-GROSS PIC BELOW! If you're squeamish, don't look.

Her abdomen seemed to be filling again, no eggs. For three days, she's been going on nests, on and off. Today, not expecting to see anything, I checked the nest after she left it and found this odd thing she had expelled. If that was blocking her oviduct all this time, then I'm hoping she may be able to lay again. Seems full of albumen/egg white, is very leathery on the exterior. This is the first time ever, with all my internal layers, I've had a hen expel anything.

DSCN2791.jpg

DSCN2795.jpg

DSCN2794.jpg

I am sorry to day it does not look good I also had a EE that did not lay for 5 months this happened after she molted she was eating and drinking and pooping and had no other signs of illness no swollen abdomen or egg bound one morning she had a seizure and died in the nest box I did notice that she would stay in the nest box for a hr a day like she was going to start laying but never did . I hope she pulls through

You know it has an egg shape and it looks like a little chicks foot in one shot. Do you guys have a rooster because if not then I'd know it wouldn'be be possible.

I have removed many masses from hens' abdomens after they died from internal laying. This is something somewhat similar, though the albumen unside isn't exactly cooked solid. Masses made up of egg yolk and solidified infection build in oviducts and the abdomen of hens with internal laying. She hasn't laid in three months or so. This is just the first time a hen has actually expelled anything rather than us having to find it during a necropsy. It's not any part of a chick-she hasn't been with a rooster in a year. To tell the truth, expelling this is a good thing, not a bad thing--better out than in.

Here is the "gunk" from one such deceased hen's abdomen and oviducts:

DCP_1065.jpg

Quote:
bllllkkkkkkk!!! Nasty, nasty.

Aren't those pretty much the equivalent of fibroid tumors in mammals, with the addition of egg material, shell and albumen?

Speckled, is there any thing you did that you would attribute to helping her expell this thing? Did you massage her abdomen or give her extra calcium or anything?

I can't say anything specific that we did that made her expel this thing. Awhile back, she was given penicillin when it seemed she may have had egg peritonitis happening and did get a few abdominal massages. She did get lots of extra calcium, yes, as they all do when we believe there is something wrong with the egg laying apparatus. Eventually, her abdomen, though it wasn't that large anyway, subsided and she began walking upright again, but never laid an egg again. She has some minor fluid in the abdomen now, it seems, and is having a rough go of it in the heat, so I'm glad this mass is now out of there. I just hope it was the only one or that if there is more, they also make it out of her.

As far as these being fibroids, they aren't tumors at all, but cooked egg yolk mixed in with solid infection. Chickens encapsulate infection into cheesy masses; same thing happens with bumblefoot, which is a staph infection in the foot.

Yucky! I have seen this, too. Last year my 4 yr old barred rock was laying smaller and smaller eggs. They were tiny and only contained white. Then she stopped completely. A couple months later she expelled all this rubbery stuff (I knew it was from her because it was full of the same speckles she put on her shells!). But it was all solid--no liquid. Then started regular laying again. She is amazing--she still my best layer, hitting 3-4 days a week!

Unfortunately, my 2nd hen that expelled this ended up getting peritonitis and we had to cull her
sad.png
My husband found it so I don't know if it was again solid or more like the one you found. If there was a way to do a chicken douche I probably could have saved her--and if I had figured out which one it was from. Sadly, hindsight doesn't help us save them, just the next one.

I hope your hen is 100% again soon! She sounds on the mend!

Back
Top Bottom