Thank you for your help in advance! This site has been invaluable since we got our chicks as day olds!!
I have 15 pullets, all different breeds. They are 26 weeks old. We've been healthy until recently.......
I am almost positive they have fowl pox. Pretty easy to identify visually, after looking at pics on the internet. Several neighbors have had it. The mosquitos have been very bad.
Started with the lead chicken, standing around, wings down, resting. Not her usual self. Examined her and she had the tell tale marks. About 2 days later she was more perky, acting better, but not completely herself. That day 2 more chickens started acting the same. Prepared for the whole flock to get it, but crossing my finger that its the dry form. Examined all the chickens, some had the tell tall marks. Then the coughing/sneezing started. I've got about 2/3 flock with the sneezing/coughing/gurgling. Slimy eyes/noses. It seems to match the symptoms of wet pox. I'm a nurse...I know chickens are not the same as people. But it sounds exactly like a wet airway in a person. I'm so upset, as i understand the mortality is high.
I understand it's viral. But wanted to start antibiotics to prevent any secondary infections or pneumonia. Figured it couldn't hurt....Started Tylan 50mg at a 1/2cc orally today. Im going to give for 3 days per the internet. While i was holding them to give them the medicine, some felt feverish to me. Their combs were hotter than usual. They also smell bad, smell sick. Just the ones with the mucus in nose and mouth. Just like when a person has a cold, and their breath smells "sick".
Im putting apple cider vinegar in the water, making sure they are getting extra protein (giving lots of meal worms).
1. Just how bad is it going to be? Can i expect to lose all of them?
2. Is 3 days of Tylan 50mg (1/2 cc) correct?
3. Anything else i can do to help them?
4. In the future, where can you buy day old chicks that are vaccinated against fowl pox? I only just found out that there is a vaccine. If i had known, i would have gotten it.
5. How long before i should see improvement from the antibiotics?
6. How many days will it take to determine if they are going to die or pull thru? Im going crazy here....
7. If i do want to replace the chickens i may lose...How long to wait to be sure they can't make the new chickens sick? Or is that a non issue if they have been vaccinated for fowl pox? Hoping not to lose any, but this is good info to have.
Was just getting to the fun part with the ladies.....they are my pets, have a cushy life, and each have a unique personality. Just started getting eggs about 3 weeks ago.
Anyone near me? I'm in North Dallas Texas?