BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying › Need some advice about one of my layers!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need some advice about one of my layers!

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

One of my BR has not laid for 2 weeks. It started when she had a pale comb and was not interacting with all the other birds. I checked her for lice and mites and found nothing. Now her comb is beautiful and she is active. From what I can tell she has been eating and drinking normally but still no eggs! I give all my chickens plenty of calcium. Is she lacking something else? 

post #2 of 9
She could be going through a molt. If she is not then chickens need 14 hours of light to lay. So you may want to add a light to your coop.
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylercarr View Post

She could be going through a molt. If she is not then chickens need 14 hours of light to lay. So you may want to add a light to your coop.

I haven't seen any signs of molting. Would she molt in winter? And we have a light in our coop. 

post #4 of 9
Yes she would you should notice her losing feathers if she is molting. Have you added any new chickens or have you changed their feed? She could be stressed out so she may not lay.
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylercarr View Post

Yes she would you should notice her losing feathers if she is molting. Have you added any new chickens or have you changed their feed? She could be stressed out so she may not lay.

She's definitely not molting. Haven't changed anything. We have had some really rainy days. Could the weather have affected her somehow?

post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chicken Fan View Post
 

One of my BR has not laid for 2 weeks. It started when she had a pale comb and was not interacting with all the other birds. I checked her for lice and mites and found nothing. Now her comb is beautiful and she is active. From what I can tell she has been eating and drinking normally but still no eggs! I give all my chickens plenty of calcium. Is she lacking something else? 

How old is she?

What are you feeding?

Do you free range?

Great article on VENTILATION, one of THE MOST IMPORTANT aspects of coop design.

Fantastic treatise to help decide how much SPACE your chickens need.

 

Chicken math is not just 'addition'...but also should include Division, Multiplication and especially Subtraction!!!

 

Quoting centrarchid:

"Make every effort to understand your chicken's biology and the environment that supports it."

Reply

Great article on VENTILATION, one of THE MOST IMPORTANT aspects of coop design.

Fantastic treatise to help decide how much SPACE your chickens need.

 

Chicken math is not just 'addition'...but also should include Division, Multiplication and especially Subtraction!!!

 

Quoting centrarchid:

"Make every effort to understand your chicken's biology and the environment that supports it."

Reply
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aart View Post
 

How old is she?

What are you feeding?

Do you free range?

She is 6 months old. I am feeding them purina flock raiser because I didn't want her having that additional calcium in the layer. They have a huge yard! 

post #8 of 9

She may be laying out in range area.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 2-3 days can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

 

Are you providing oyster shells?

Great article on VENTILATION, one of THE MOST IMPORTANT aspects of coop design.

Fantastic treatise to help decide how much SPACE your chickens need.

 

Chicken math is not just 'addition'...but also should include Division, Multiplication and especially Subtraction!!!

 

Quoting centrarchid:

"Make every effort to understand your chicken's biology and the environment that supports it."

Reply

Great article on VENTILATION, one of THE MOST IMPORTANT aspects of coop design.

Fantastic treatise to help decide how much SPACE your chickens need.

 

Chicken math is not just 'addition'...but also should include Division, Multiplication and especially Subtraction!!!

 

Quoting centrarchid:

"Make every effort to understand your chicken's biology and the environment that supports it."

Reply
post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aart View Post
 

She may be laying out in range area.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 2-3 days can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

 

Are you providing oyster shells?

In their big yard there is no area where she could lay and have privacy. I've looked before but have found no nests. I seriously doubt that any of my girls would eat her eggs. I've had some eggs that were laid on the ground, and they were not interested. I provide plenty of oyster shell 24/7. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying › Need some advice about one of my layers!