BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Chicken Breeds › What Breed Or Gender is This? › What to look for in old English game bantam chicks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What to look for in old English game bantam chicks

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
Hello all, I didn't know where else to post this so I went with here. So I'm interested in getting some OEGB this spring and didn't want to buy from hatcheries and go through shipping with the chicks, so I was going to try my luck at a TSC when they have chicks available, I've heard that there are some OEGB varieties in the "bantam bin" and I was wondering if there was any way for me to tell which ones are OEGB. I know they are clean legged, but that's about it. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance
post #2 of 8

They are generally very small compared to the other chickens, with brown/grassy colors that would blend in in the wild. Some also have apparent stripes on the head and back. Hope this helps!


Edited by countrygirl345 - 2/1/16 at 6:43pm
...WW
< '.....\ _____ /.|
....\___..... __ /
....... _/._/........... o
srk
Reply
...WW
< '.....\ _____ /.|
....\___..... __ /
....... _/._/........... o
srk
Reply
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygirl345 View Post
 

They are generally very small compared to the other chickens, with brown/grassy colors that would blend in in the wild. Some also have apparent stripes on the head and back. Hope this helps!

I agree.

I set fire to the rain! Watch it pour as I, touched your face. Well it burn while I cried, because I heard it screaming out your name. And I threw us into flames. I knew that was the last time, the last time...I set fire to the rain! -Adele

 

Look at my flock page! http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/bantamfan4lifes-flock

Reply

I set fire to the rain! Watch it pour as I, touched your face. Well it burn while I cried, because I heard it screaming out your name. And I threw us into flames. I knew that was the last time, the last time...I set fire to the rain! -Adele

 

Look at my flock page! http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/bantamfan4lifes-flock

Reply
post #4 of 8
Thread Starter 
Thanks to you both! Hopefully I can find a few different colors of OEGB in there, the self blue and silver duckwing are two of my favorite varieties and I've heard they both can be in there. Do you know an other ones that could be in there?
post #5 of 8

You realize that all the chicks at TSC have been shipped, right?

If I were you, I would go buy a box of 25 from Ideal hatchery. They have them on sale today for $1.15 each + shipping. You will spend less money and be assured they are all OEGB. If 25 is too many, raise them to sexable age and give away the extra males, then sell pairs of trios on Craigslist (or here) until you get the group down to the size you want.

 

If you buy from TSC, they will cost more and still be straight run, so you might end up with 6 males, or 5 males and 1 female. At least with 25 you are sure to get some females and can pick the colors you want to keep.

Raising lots of fun poultry: Cream Legbars, Welbars, Bielefelders, California Greys, and 6 colors / sizes of Ameraucanas

Also Turkeys, Guineas and Peafowl

 

I have eggs and chicks available for sale from some of these breeds, details at my website

How to make a hoop tractor

My Poultry Blog

Reply

Raising lots of fun poultry: Cream Legbars, Welbars, Bielefelders, California Greys, and 6 colors / sizes of Ameraucanas

Also Turkeys, Guineas and Peafowl

 

I have eggs and chicks available for sale from some of these breeds, details at my website

How to make a hoop tractor

My Poultry Blog

Reply
post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dheltzel View Post

You realize that all the chicks at TSC have been shipped, right?
If I were you, I would go buy a box of 25 from Ideal hatchery. They have them on sale today for $1.15 each + shipping. You will spend less money and be assured they are all OEGB. If 25 is too many, raise them to sexable age and give away the extra males, then sell pairs of trios on Craigslist (or here) until you get the group down to the size you want.

If you buy from TSC, they will cost more and still be straight run, so you might end up with 6 males, or 5 males and 1 female. At least with 25 you are sure to get some females and can pick the colors you want to keep.
Yes I am fully aware that chicks are shipped to TSC, and it's early yet for chicks so the sale at ideal hatchery doesn't help me too much. And I do not have the room to house an extra 25 birds, not even till sexing age, which is why I don't want to go through hatcheries because their minimum chick order is too many chicks at one time for me to house. And I'm getting other breeds when I do get chicks and not just OEGB so if they aren't all OEGB it's not a huge loss. As for the rooster problem, I know a few people who would take some off my hands.
post #7 of 8

some places offer sexed chicks with orders as small as  5 bantams

                                         Please visit  "Current Movies - Thumbs UP or Thumbs DOWN"pop.gif

                                                           Movie  reviews    & comments -   welcome                                                 

Reply

                                         Please visit  "Current Movies - Thumbs UP or Thumbs DOWN"pop.gif

                                                           Movie  reviews    & comments -   welcome                                                 

Reply
post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumstick diva View Post

some places offer sexed chicks with orders as small as  5 bantams
Yeah I recently came across Cackle hatchery and their minimum is 5 and they have what variety I want so I think I may order from them, however I don't like the $20 small order fee for ordered under 25. Thanks for all the help y'all
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: What Breed Or Gender is This?
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Chicken Breeds › What Breed Or Gender is This? › What to look for in old English game bantam chicks