BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures › Need way to empty crop (Urgh Sour Crop!!)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need way to empty crop (Urgh Sour Crop!!)

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

Hi,

My white Plymouth Rock has sour crop and I need to find a way to empty her crop without using the vomiting method. Iv'e never done that before and don't want to risk having her in hail the nasty stuff. She has had sour crop before and her crop eventually drained. However, I just realized that her crop hangs low and it quickly fills back up again. This I'm pretty sure is called pendulous crop. I hope to solve that problem with a crop bra, but I need a way to drain all that nasty liquid out of her crop first. I have no aviary vets in my area so help is greatly appreciated. Thank you! 

post #2 of 8

Whenever I have a bird with a crop problem, I squeeze the crop gently and massage it upward, it will come out that way.

"In the field of observation, chance favors only the prepared mind"

~Louis Pasteur

 

>NPIP certified<

 

Fear kills more dreams than failure ever will.

 

 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care.  (Matthew 10:29)

Reply

"In the field of observation, chance favors only the prepared mind"

~Louis Pasteur

 

>NPIP certified<

 

Fear kills more dreams than failure ever will.

 

 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care.  (Matthew 10:29)

Reply
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyBird View Post

Hi,
My white Plymouth Rock has sour crop and I need to find a way to empty her crop without using the vomiting method. Iv'e never done that before and don't want to risk having her in hail the nasty stuff. She has had sour crop before and her crop eventually drained. However, I just realized that her crop hangs low and it quickly fills back up again. This I'm pretty sure is called pendulous crop. I hope to solve that problem with a crop bra, but I need a way to drain all that nasty liquid out of her crop first. I have no aviary vets in my area so help is greatly appreciated. Thank you! 

Welcome to BYC! You could try draining it with a size 30 french catheter and syringe.

-Kathy
post #4 of 8
Thread Starter 

Is using the catheter and syringe risky, as I have not dealt with that and I don't want to harm my chicken?  

post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CochinLover1 View Post
 

Whenever I have a bird with a crop problem, I squeeze the crop gently and massage it upward, it will come out that way.

Do you know if that is like the same thing as making them throw up? Does it have the same risks of them inhaling the spit up? 

post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyBird View Post

Is using the catheter and syringe risky, as I have not dealt with that and I don't want to harm my chicken?  

Not risky, but it might not work very well on bits of food. What's in her crop? If it liquid or food?

-Kathy
post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 

I'm pretty sure most of it is liquid... Her crop feels like water balloon and I can hear gurgling sounds coming from it.

post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 

Yeah! Her crop emptied today! I'm so glad, now I can deal with her recovery. Thank you for responding, I will look back on your guys' helpful remarks if I ever need help with another chicken!:weee:yesss:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures › Need way to empty crop (Urgh Sour Crop!!)