BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Ducks › How to keep duck eggs for shippingfor people who want to hatch them.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How to keep duck eggs for shippingfor people who want to hatch them.

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Hi I was wondering how to keep duck eggs from going bad for people who want me to ship them for hatching.I usually just put my eggs in the refrigerator but I kow you can't hatch them when they have already been put in there
post #2 of 7

Good question - I am interested in reading the responses.  I had heard somewhere eggs need to be turned daily to be kept viable.  Anything to that?

Please PM me, or use @Amiga in the message if you would like to hear from me soon.  

Reply

Please PM me, or use @Amiga in the message if you would like to hear from me soon.  

Reply
post #3 of 7
If they don't sit for more than a few days they should be fine in a cool part of your house. I used to keep mine on the window sill, since it seems a little cooler than in the middle of the house. Store them unwashed, and pointy side down. If you store them for more than a few days you will need to turn them twice a day or so.
post #4 of 7
Place them in a basket or whatever in a cool place in your house away from any heat sources, turn them by hand a few times a day as you go about your business, no need to mark them or turn them on any schedule just avoid letting them sit dead still for days...

I personally place my hatching eggs in a basket with excelsior in the back corner of the kitchen counter, it's away from any window but still visible to remind me to turn the eggs and with AC it never gets that warm in the house, if you don't have AC a basement would be ideal...
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepBeep View Post

Place them in a basket or whatever in a cool place in your house away from any heat sources, turn them by hand a few times a day as you go about your business, no need to mark them or turn them on any schedule just avoid letting them sit dead still for days...

I personally place my hatching eggs in a basket with excelsior in the back corner of the kitchen counter, it's away from any window but still visible to remind me to turn the eggs and with AC it never gets that warm in the house, if you don't have AC a basement would be ideal...

Well I live in northern Pennsylvania and right now it's still winter so the eggs are exposed to the cold because she's not sitting on them right now and the highest it's been is like 35 during the day so I don't even know if they would still be any good or even fetile
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygirl2513 View Post

[Well I live in northern Pennsylvania and right now it's still winter so the eggs are exposed to the cold because she's not sitting on them right now and the highest it's been is like 35 during the day so I don't even know if they would still be any good or even fetile

Roll of the dice when it's that cold, I would personally not sell them when collected at near freezing temps... When I collect eggs for hatching that I'm going to sell, I collect every two hours all day long to avoid them being sat on and starting incubation or in cold weather getting too cold...
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepBeep View Post

Roll of the dice when it's that cold, I would personally not sell them when collected at near freezing temps... When I collect eggs for hatching that I'm going to sell, I collect every two hours all day long to avoid them being sat on and starting incubation or in cold weather getting too cold...
Thank you much for explaining everything!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ducks
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Ducks › How to keep duck eggs for shippingfor people who want to hatch them.