My RIR is 3 years old. She rarely lays eggs anymore. Yesterday I noticed she was open mouth breathing. I picked her up and she turned purple. I brought her in and when I'd set her on the floor, her color would come back. I noticed when holding her, that her back end and abdomen feels very hard. I gave her an epsom salt bath and put my pinky finger into her vent as far as I could (about 1.5 inches) and felt no eggs. I am keeping her in the house. I gave her antibiotic prescription I had left over from another sick chicken. She's eating and drinking ok. Poops look normal.
Later yesterday, my 3 year old Black Austrolorp was also open mouth breathing and turning purple when I'd pick her up. But, her abdomen feels fine. I am treating her with antibiotics and have her indoors too.
Today, they both look a little better. No more respiratory symptoms. But, the RIR still feels so firm in her abdomen. The Black Austrolorp laid an egg this morning, so I know she's not egg bound. But, I still have them both indoors. The RIR is in her own cage with a blanket over it to keep her calm and in hopes if she is egg bound, no more eggs will be produced.
Any suggestions? Is there anything you can do for egg bound? Could a vet do anything? I want to save her, but I just spent $3,000 yesterday on ACL surgery for my dog and I'm very vet poor for a while!
**Some additional background: The RIR lived with me for over a year, but started to have attitude issues and went to live with my friend's flock. A month ago she sold her flock so I took the RIR back again. After a short into period, she's been doing great, but maybe the stress from the move back has caused an egg problem? She hasn't laid any eggs here yet that I've seen, though she occasionally laid at my friend's house.
** More background: Two weeks ago my 7 month Mottled Orpington died suddenly, with only about 2 hours warning. She went downhill that fast! I had a necropsy done and she had lesions on her liver and spleen. Her abdomen did not feel hard before her death. The vet sent off samples and the lesions where due to an infection that became sepsis. He thought perhaps coccidiosis, but I disagree with that because there was no poop issues at all, and she just didn't match symptoms.
So, for now I am only giving the antibiotic. Should I treat for coccidiosis too? I have some Corid here. I need to research if it can be given with the antibiotic. What if she's egg bound? Can anything be done? By the way, she's walking, standing, and sitting normally. What else could this be?