(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? My first experience with chickens was watching my neighbors hens when they went on vacation and picking eggs. I loved how they hens greeted me with their clucks, and I was hooked. I started my own flock with 3 Columbian Wyandotte chicks last July. They have grown up to be wonderful, friendly girls. One went broody 3 weeks ago, so I got 5 chicks for her to raise. She is doing a great job with the babies. I am surprised how quickly they are growing and changing. They imprinted with their new mom right away. They are in the house until the weather warms up a bit.
(2) How many chickens do you have right now? 8
(3) What breeds do you have? 3 Columbian Wyandotte hens, 2 Ameracaunas, 1 silver-laced Cochin, 1 blue Cochin, 1 silver-gray Dorking.
(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? My neighbor's daughter raved about this web site. I have been lurking for a long time but am happy to be a true member now.
(5) What are some of your other hobbies? I love collecting antiques, gardening, and shopping at second-hand shops for treasures.
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I have one husband who is not involved with the chickens but does enjoy the omelets I make. My baby is a 10-year-old female boxer. I am a medical transcriptionist who works from home.