BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying › Is this what broody looks like?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is this what broody looks like? - Page 2

post #11 of 18

Yep, with out those two walls - what seems easy just isn't.  ;)

 

If you have scrap wood -- you may be able to do one that is free-standing.  with a strong enough base -- it would be pretty stable, and --- maybe you could get one that fits into the coop - and you could remove it whenever you need to clean out - because it isn't attached.  

The 45-degree cuts on the base pieces are just for looks -- it could be done with just square-cornered pieces of 2x4.  

Marek's:http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mareks-disease-fact-site

BYC page:  http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chickats-page  

BYC blog of sorts  http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/jottings-ii

 

"Was dich nicht umwirft, macht dich starker"   "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger."-Friedrich Nietzsche 

Reply

Marek's:http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mareks-disease-fact-site

BYC page:  http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chickats-page  

BYC blog of sorts  http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/jottings-ii

 

"Was dich nicht umwirft, macht dich starker"   "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger."-Friedrich Nietzsche 

Reply
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicKat View Post
 

 

 

Challenge the men to do a better one than this example....;)

 

 

 

I'll take that challenge. LOL

 

I'm cheap and just cut the pole or board to fit snug then screw into it from outside the coop. Cost? One 2x2 stick lumber and two exterior screws per roost. If a small space you get two roost per $2.50 2x2 stick. Can't afford fancy hangers and people would get upset if I took them out of the closets here.

Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it.

 

-Charles Dudley Warner

Reply

Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it.

 

-Charles Dudley Warner

Reply
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead_Jr View Post
 

I'll take that challenge. LOL

 

I'm cheap and just cut the pole or board to fit snug then screw into it from outside the coop. Cost? One 2x2 stick lumber and two exterior screws per roost. If a small space you get two roost per $2.50 2x2 stick. Can't afford fancy hangers and people would get upset if I took them out of the closets here.

What?  you mean your clothing takes priority over the chickens?  ;O) LOL 

 

 

Has anyone ever done research if square or round is better roost for the chicken's feet?  Your idea would sure work as well as this one -- maybe better too because it is more basic. 

Marek's:http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mareks-disease-fact-site

BYC page:  http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chickats-page  

BYC blog of sorts  http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/jottings-ii

 

"Was dich nicht umwirft, macht dich starker"   "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger."-Friedrich Nietzsche 

Reply

Marek's:http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mareks-disease-fact-site

BYC page:  http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chickats-page  

BYC blog of sorts  http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/jottings-ii

 

"Was dich nicht umwirft, macht dich starker"   "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger."-Friedrich Nietzsche 

Reply
post #14 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicKat View Post
 

Yep, with out those two walls - what seems easy just isn't.  ;)

 

If you have scrap wood -- you may be able to do one that is free-standing.  with a strong enough base -- it would be pretty stable, and --- maybe you could get one that fits into the coop - and you could remove it whenever you need to clean out - because it isn't attached.  

The 45-degree cuts on the base pieces are just for looks -- it could be done with just square-cornered pieces of 2x4.

Perfect!  I could totally do this.  Actually, we have 2 of these, but the hens never wanted to use them.  Do you think after a year of sleeping on the coop floor in a huddle in the doorway, they would use them if I spent a few days putting them on there after dark?

post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenHawk12 View Post
 

Perfect!  I could totally do this.  Actually, we have 2 of these, but the hens never wanted to use them.  Do you think after a year of sleeping on the coop floor in a huddle in the doorway, they would use them if I spent a few days putting them on there after dark?

You never know until you try -- and if you already have them there's nothing to loose.  

Marek's:http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mareks-disease-fact-site

BYC page:  http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chickats-page  

BYC blog of sorts  http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/jottings-ii

 

"Was dich nicht umwirft, macht dich starker"   "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger."-Friedrich Nietzsche 

Reply

Marek's:http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mareks-disease-fact-site

BYC page:  http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chickats-page  

BYC blog of sorts  http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/jottings-ii

 

"Was dich nicht umwirft, macht dich starker"   "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger."-Friedrich Nietzsche 

Reply
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicKat View Post

What?  you mean your clothing takes priority over the chickens?  ;O) LOL 


Has anyone ever done research if square or round is better roost for the chicken's feet?  Your idea would sure work as well as this one -- maybe better too because it is more basic. 

Most chickensexpert will say flat side of 2x4s, I used all to experiment, I used round 3" diameter birch pole (pricey & my alpha hens prefer this one);cheap 2x4 flat side (only 3 hens uses that one); and 2x2 got free from a local lumber (half of my hens love to perch on this one). Now in SE Asia where most of this birds originated, free range chickens perch on rounded branches in the trees when dark falls.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Basic starter: Personally designed & built Shed/Coupe/Run: 3 Leghorns, 2 Plymouth Barred Rocks, 5 Silver Laced Wyandottes

NEW ADDITION: 4/21/15
Rhode Island Reds, Plymouth Barred Rock
Black Copper Marans & Blue Marans
12x24x7 additional run


NEW BABIES: 2/17/16
New Hampshires, Black Australorps, Amerecaunas,
Easter Eggers & Black Sex Links

NEWER YET: 3/16/16
Spe...
Reply
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Basic starter: Personally designed & built Shed/Coupe/Run: 3 Leghorns, 2 Plymouth Barred Rocks, 5 Silver Laced Wyandottes

NEW ADDITION: 4/21/15
Rhode Island Reds, Plymouth Barred Rock
Black Copper Marans & Blue Marans
12x24x7 additional run


NEW BABIES: 2/17/16
New Hampshires, Black Australorps, Amerecaunas,
Easter Eggers & Black Sex Links

NEWER YET: 3/16/16
Spe...
Reply
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan22 View Post


Most chickensexpert will say flat side of 2x4s, I used all to experiment, I used round 3" diameter birch pole (pricey & my alpha hens prefer this one);cheap 2x4 flat side (only 3 hens uses that one); and 2x2 got free from a local lumber (half of my hens love to perch on this one). Now in SE Asia where most of this birds originated, free range chickens perch on rounded branches in the trees when dark falls.

Thanks for the insights.... as you look at nature -- it does seem that round would be a more natural fit for their feet -- and they could scoot to where the diameter of the branch feels the most comfey! 

Marek's:http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mareks-disease-fact-site

BYC page:  http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chickats-page  

BYC blog of sorts  http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/jottings-ii

 

"Was dich nicht umwirft, macht dich starker"   "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger."-Friedrich Nietzsche 

Reply

Marek's:http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mareks-disease-fact-site

BYC page:  http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chickats-page  

BYC blog of sorts  http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/jottings-ii

 

"Was dich nicht umwirft, macht dich starker"   "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger."-Friedrich Nietzsche 

Reply
post #18 of 18
Your welcome🤗 I love to learn from multitude of experts and their wisdom but ultimately I have to choose what's best fits my situation and health of my hens.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Basic starter: Personally designed & built Shed/Coupe/Run: 3 Leghorns, 2 Plymouth Barred Rocks, 5 Silver Laced Wyandottes

NEW ADDITION: 4/21/15
Rhode Island Reds, Plymouth Barred Rock
Black Copper Marans & Blue Marans
12x24x7 additional run


NEW BABIES: 2/17/16
New Hampshires, Black Australorps, Amerecaunas,
Easter Eggers & Black Sex Links

NEWER YET: 3/16/16
Spe...
Reply
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Basic starter: Personally designed & built Shed/Coupe/Run: 3 Leghorns, 2 Plymouth Barred Rocks, 5 Silver Laced Wyandottes

NEW ADDITION: 4/21/15
Rhode Island Reds, Plymouth Barred Rock
Black Copper Marans & Blue Marans
12x24x7 additional run


NEW BABIES: 2/17/16
New Hampshires, Black Australorps, Amerecaunas,
Easter Eggers & Black Sex Links

NEWER YET: 3/16/16
Spe...
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying › Is this what broody looks like?