BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Incubating & Hatching Eggs › First time with incubator help!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First time with incubator help!

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
Ok so about a month ago I bought one of those foam little giant incubators. I now have eggs in it , put them in last night. The temp won't go past 98.9-99.1 is that enough for the chicks to hatch with? I lost the receipt so I can't return it. A friend has an incubator she's running and may have room, but at this point if the temp on mine isn't enough would it kill the embryos to drive them to her? Its about a 35-40 minute drive
post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsagirl View Post

Ok so about a month ago I bought one of those foam little giant incubators. I now have eggs in it , put them in last night. The temp won't go past 98.9-99.1 is that enough for the chicks to hatch with? I lost the receipt so I can't return it. A friend has an incubator she's running and may have room, but at this point if the temp on mine isn't enough would it kill the embryos to drive them to her? Its about a 35-40 minute drive

If it's still air it needs to be 101-102 near the tops of the eggs. If it's forced then it needs to be 99.5. Running a tad cooler will in most cases slightly slow development and cause a delayed hatch, the farther you get from the ideal temps the higher the chances of a lower hatch rate are.

Is it the 9300 model (with the digital controls)?

Need help incubating/hatching? Are you more a hands on hatcher? Come visit us: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help

A guide to hatching from the hands on perspective: http://hatching411.weebly.com/

Reply

Need help incubating/hatching? Are you more a hands on hatcher? Come visit us: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help

A guide to hatching from the hands on perspective: http://hatching411.weebly.com/

Reply
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
I'm pretty sure it's still air, bc I didn't get the ventilation fan thingy accessory. Yea it is the 9300 model
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsagirl View Post

I'm pretty sure it's still air, bc I didn't get the ventilation fan thingy accessory. Yea it is the 9300 model

Ok, most people have to set the temps on that bator 3 degrees or more higher than required to get the temps correct within the bator. So if you need 101, many people have to set it 104 to get that inside. You do have your own accurate thermometer in side the bator hopefully? Also the probe that hangs down-that can cause a lot of problems with temp stability if it gets knocked around.

Need help incubating/hatching? Are you more a hands on hatcher? Come visit us: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help

A guide to hatching from the hands on perspective: http://hatching411.weebly.com/

Reply

Need help incubating/hatching? Are you more a hands on hatcher? Come visit us: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help

A guide to hatching from the hands on perspective: http://hatching411.weebly.com/

Reply
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
I don't have one other than the one hanging in the incubator. A friend said I'll Need one, but I have to wait till Friday before I can get one sad.png I tried upping the temp but it wouldn't go up past 99.5 when I hit the "set" button. Maybe I have to hold one button or both down to get it to move up instead of just pushing it?
post #6 of 9

One of our 4 units is the same model that you have described here.   I set all of our 'bators up for 99.5.  We actually have 2 thermometers in each unit, one of them is set right on the egg cups and nestled in with the eggs.  Why 2?  Redundancy....I've seen the built-in thermies give off a wrong reading.   The 2nd thermometer we set up on a short stand in the middle of the turner at the same level as the eggs.  We had fantastic results last year with this system-hatched out almost 300 fuzzballs. 

post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Great! I figured out how I might be able to get the temp up to 99.5. Since having the "set" temp on 99.5 was only getting us up to 98.9 and occasionally 99.1, I found if you hold down the set button it then allows you to up or down the set temp so I put the set tempt to 100.1, hopefully that'll get us up to a resting set temp of the needed 99.5. Would the eggs being on 98.9 the past 2 days hurt them? And I'll be getting a thermometer friday, anyone have any brand recommendations or sites?
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonrow View Post
 

One of our 4 units is the same model that you have described here.   I set all of our 'bators up for 99.5.  We actually have 2 thermometers in each unit, one of them is set right on the egg cups and nestled in with the eggs.  Why 2?  Redundancy....I've seen the built-in thermies give off a wrong reading.   The 2nd thermometer we set up on a short stand in the middle of the turner at the same level as the eggs.  We had fantastic results last year with this system-hatched out almost 300 fuzzballs. 

Hey, I use 3, so...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsagirl View Post

Great! I figured out how I might be able to get the temp up to 99.5. Since having the "set" temp on 99.5 was only getting us up to 98.9 and occasionally 99.1, I found if you hold down the set button it then allows you to up or down the set temp so I put the set tempt to 100.1, hopefully that'll get us up to a resting set temp of the needed 99.5. Would the eggs being on 98.9 the past 2 days hurt them? And I'll be getting a thermometer friday, anyone have any brand recommendations or sites?

You'll likely see a slight delay in hatchers, but still air needs to be closer to 101.5. 99.5 is best for forced air. And the LG 9300 is notorious for the display being way off. So even set at 100 there's a good chance that it still isn't even 99. 

Need help incubating/hatching? Are you more a hands on hatcher? Come visit us: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help

A guide to hatching from the hands on perspective: http://hatching411.weebly.com/

Reply

Need help incubating/hatching? Are you more a hands on hatcher? Come visit us: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help

A guide to hatching from the hands on perspective: http://hatching411.weebly.com/

Reply
post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
Well I tried 3x to post a picture but my phone and byc hate each other. After talking to a friend on the phone I grabbed a meat thermometer and set it in one of the tiny vent holes. Turns out the built in thermometer is very close to being correct! I'm leaving it in there till I check the fertility on day 4 but I thought that was a good plus
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Incubating & Hatching Eggs
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Incubating & Hatching Eggs › First time with incubator help!