BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Raising Baby Chicks › Is this a Lila or Lyle??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is this a Lila or Lyle??

Poll Results: hen or roo?

 
  • 0% (0)
    hen
  • 100% (1)
    rooster
1 Total Vote  
post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

The one in question is on the right in this picture. These Silver Laced Wyandottes are 4 weeks old. I have three of them and two of them look exactly like the one on the left, while the one on the right has a single comb that is dark pink and wattles coming in rather fast. The other chicks have wattles as well, just not as big. 

 

Here's a close up of his/her facial features.

 

Full body shot. He/she is tuckered out! Played hard tonight out of their pen. Tame little buggers! wink.png

 

This is my first time raising chicks on my own and was told there was a 90% chance they were hens. I'm thinking I got the 10%! lol It's no big deal if she is a he. Just curious!


Edited by pinkashes04 - 4/22/16 at 8:19pm
post #2 of 8

Pretty sure you have a Lyle! :D He sure is cute!

 

~Alex

Alex the Golden Campine- talented flier, mischievous little busybody, crackly-voiced conversationalist, loyal sidekick, and my sociable, cuddly sweetie.

 

"But God clearly shows and proves His own love for us, by the fact that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us" Romans 5:8

Reply

Alex the Golden Campine- talented flier, mischievous little busybody, crackly-voiced conversationalist, loyal sidekick, and my sociable, cuddly sweetie.

 

"But God clearly shows and proves His own love for us, by the fact that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us" Romans 5:8

Reply
post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the reply! I've been pondering it for a few weeks now. This one was slower in getting feathers like I've read roosters do. But at the same time it's smaller than the other two. However, it has a much louder chirp. Guess we will see! I will definitely keep posting pics, as they grow so fast!
post #4 of 8

I've had SLWs, two batches of chicks, and the males always get much deeper contrasting feathers than the pullets, meaning they're more black and white to the girls' overall grayish appearance by age six weeks.

 

And the clincher is Lyle's reddish pink comb. Warning, SLW roos can be on the pugilistic side, if you plan on keeping him.

post #5 of 8

You're welcome! :) It can be SO hard to tell with Dottes. I've got a 6-week-old Silver Penciled Wyandotte bantam who is a definite pullet, but yet with hangy, pink wattles and a nice red comb. Confusing, eh? :P I'm beginning to wonder if some Wyandotte girls develop early.

 

~Alex

Alex the Golden Campine- talented flier, mischievous little busybody, crackly-voiced conversationalist, loyal sidekick, and my sociable, cuddly sweetie.

 

"But God clearly shows and proves His own love for us, by the fact that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us" Romans 5:8

Reply

Alex the Golden Campine- talented flier, mischievous little busybody, crackly-voiced conversationalist, loyal sidekick, and my sociable, cuddly sweetie.

 

"But God clearly shows and proves His own love for us, by the fact that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us" Romans 5:8

Reply
post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
I do plan on keeping him. He's actually leaning towards my favorite. He's very docile now, as he's been handled a lot. Out of all the chicks he is the one who will come right to me a roost on me when they're out and about. Very friendly and sweet so far. Hoping he will stay that way! Fingers crossed =)
post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 
It is really hard to tell! I've researched others questioning the sex of their dotte and have found them just as confused! Or they were positive they had a roo, gave them away..only to be disappointed. I think this breed's females do mature fast from what I've seen so far. Ive also read thay its not uncommon for some dottes to wind up with single combs and still be female?
post #8 of 8

Must be a breed trait. :D I have no idea about the possible link between single combs and males, but I think I've seen somebody on here who had a single-combed SLW pullet.

 

~Alex

Alex the Golden Campine- talented flier, mischievous little busybody, crackly-voiced conversationalist, loyal sidekick, and my sociable, cuddly sweetie.

 

"But God clearly shows and proves His own love for us, by the fact that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us" Romans 5:8

Reply

Alex the Golden Campine- talented flier, mischievous little busybody, crackly-voiced conversationalist, loyal sidekick, and my sociable, cuddly sweetie.

 

"But God clearly shows and proves His own love for us, by the fact that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us" Romans 5:8

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Raising Baby Chicks
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Raising Baby Chicks › Is this a Lila or Lyle??