New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ethyl is acting strangely - Page 2

post #11 of 36
Thread Starter 
Ok, thanks - forgot about the poop chart! Anyway, it looked exactly like the pic with this description:

[/The hen who produced this specimen was about 25 weeks old. She went off her food and ate so little she became underweight. She held her tail down and was tired. She may have had worms and/or egg peritonitis.

Ethyl has these same symptoms- although I checked the poop, couldn't see any worms, should I give her some worm Medes anyway? Can I buy it at the feed store, or do I have to go to the vet.?

I finally caught her and gently picked her up. Her breath and face don't smell and I could not find any bugs or lice in her feathers. When I put her down, she went and drank water but didn't eat anything. She is still sitting down a lot and seems very tired. Just like the description in the poop chart. - she is also holding her head so it doesn't look like he has any neck.
post #12 of 36
For worms I use wazine for round worms added to water and then 7 days later I use safeguard 10% liquid wormer. To make sure Ive gotten them all.

There is a broad spectrum wormer called Valbazen but it was expensive to me. You can pick up any of these items at your local feed store or tractor supply or rural king.

Wazine is added to water, directions on back of the bottle.
Safeguard is given orally i squirt about 1ml into each chickens mouth.
Valbazen instructions can be found online.

You will need to treat all the chickens whichever method you go with.

Ive read somewere that coccidia can cause yellow runny poop too, you may want to pick up a bag of corrid as well, 3 tsp per gallon of water for 5 days, wouldnt hurt to use even if they dont have it, however if they do they could die without treatment.

All chickens must be treated for both coccidia and worms and after treatment you will need to completly clean out your coop and replace the bedding.

Let me know how it goes or if you have any questions, Good luck!!
Edited by teaton - 12/13/16 at 1:36pm
post #13 of 36
This is what you will be looking for:

Wormers


Along with this one one week later


Or just this one


For Coccidiosis

Edited by teaton - 12/13/16 at 1:49pm
post #14 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaton View Post

For worms I use wazine for round worms added to water and then 7 days later I use safeguard 10% liquid wormer. To make sure Ive gotten them all.

There is a broad spectrum wormer called Valbazen but it was expensive to me. You can pick up any of these items at your local feed store or tractor supply or rural king.

Wazine is added to water, directions on back of the bottle.
Safeguard is given orally i squirt about 1ml into each chickens mouth.
Valbazen instructions can be found online.

You will need to treat all the chickens whichever method you go with.

Ive read somewere that coccidia can cause yellow runny poop too, you may want to pick up a bag of corrid as well, 3 tsp per gallon of water for 5 days, wouldnt hurt to use even if they dont have it, however if they do they could die without treatment.

All chickens must be treated for both coccidia and worms and after treatment you will need to completly clean out your coop and replace the bedding.

Let me know how it goes or if you have any questions, Good luck!!

The Corid powder dose is 1.5 teaspoons per gallon for five days, then 1/3 teaspoon per gallon for 7-14 days. It is not 3 teaspoons per gallon! Curiously, where did you read that it's 3 teaspoons per gallon?

-Kathy
post #15 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by casportpony View Post

The Corid powder dose is 1.5 teaspoons per gallon for five days, then 1/3 teaspoon per gallon for 7-14 days. It is not 3 teaspoons per gallon! Curiously, where did you read that it's 3 teaspoons per gallon?

-Kathy
OmyGosh your right! Im sorry I must have mixed the dosage up with terramyicin. 😐
post #16 of 36
Unfortunately I have given that dose to my chicks before too.... I need to make a chart of all the medicine dosages so I dont mix them up anymore! Luckily none of mine had any ill affects, Thanks for pointing that out for me! I would of felt really bad if something bad would have happened to chickfans chickens because of my mistake!
Edited by teaton - 12/13/16 at 2:48pm
post #17 of 36
Thread Starter 
Really grateful to everyone for your advice - although I bought the chickens for eggs, I am very fond of them and it really distresses me that Ethyl is sick. I am going out first thing tomorrow to get the Medes you recommended. Thanks again.
post #18 of 36
Thread Starter 
Well, I wanted to update everyone - although Ethyl roosted as normal last night, we found her dead in a corner of the coop this morning. I don't have any idea what could have killed her in one day. sad.pngsad.pngsad.png

I am still going to get the medicines everyone recommended and dose my other two and scrub out the coop thoroughly today.

Is there any advice anyone can offer about the other two? I think they are looking and grieving for her - my RR actually was up in my lap 3 or 4 times and I held her and stroked her and she never does that.

Thanks again for all the help and advice.
Edited by Chicfan - 12/14/16 at 5:50am
post #19 of 36
Im so sorry! The other 2 will eventually come around. If you wanted to contact your state vet through the department of Agricultural, alot of times they will do a free necropsy to find out how she died, then you will know for sure what your dealing with. But yes if you suspect worms, and they can kill if bad enough, id go ahead and treat the other 2
Edited by teaton - 12/14/16 at 6:10am
post #20 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaton View Post

Im so sorry! The other 2 will eventually come around. If you wanted to contact your state vet through the department of Agricultural, alot of times they will do a free necropsy to find out how she died, then you will know for sure what your dealing with. But yes if you suspect worms, and they can kill if bad enough, id go ahead and treat the other 2


I'm not sure I want to bother with a necropsy - if it is something that virulent it won't matter, the other two probably have it already - although I really hope not. I'll just dose them, scrub the daylights outt of the coop :(and hope for the best. It's just really strange how whatever it was killed her so fast. sad.png
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying