Good news on the apron / skirt! That is exactly how it is supposed to work and why a grower would want one.
For those wondering what this is about, below are some photos of the apron I attached and how I did it:
There is no need to dig this in or bury a vertical wire. The part of this apron that attaches to the house was bent into a short upright L. Upright part maybe 4 inches or so, and is then nailed to the side of the coop runners with fencing staples (or steeples if you are from MO). Before installing, the grass was hacked down to dirt level, then wire simply laid out flat on the ground. The outside edges tacked down with landscape pins or in my case, nail type tent pegs from Walmart. The grass quickly grows back up and through the wire and I mow over it. But it is still there and on the job. I have noticed a couple times what appears to be attempts to dig in. They don't get far and quickly give up. What may also happen is as they attempt to dig, they extend their toenails to help scratch and dig, and those will probably hook on the wire and may get ripped out. Hopefully, painfully ripped out, which also persuades them to stop digging.
The way this is supposed to work is the varmint who wants in will start his dig at the junction of the horizontal ground and vertical house wall. He immediately encounters the wire apron and is defeated. If he tries again, it will be up and down the line, always probing at the base. They never seem to figure out then need to back off a foot or so and start their tunnel operation way out there. So a 18 to 24 inches seems to be enough of an apron to work. Far easier and probably as effective, if not more so, than digging a trench to bury a vertical wire.