Originally Posted by missydcpc Freedom Rangers http://www.freedomrangerhatchery.com/ are raised right here in Lancaster and you don't have to butcher all of them...you can save some to make your next generation.
Give me your zip and I'll add you to the map, then you can see who is close to you. Oh, and you have the same attitude about neighbors that I do.
Map is in my signature!
Thank you. That was one breed I am looking into. I'm doing a lot more research before I buy my next batch of meaties, I want to have a fairly self sustaining flock, and be able to spread the processing out over time. I have a freezer full of meat over 1/2 of which is chicken, so we have time as far as getting the meaties ready.
Zip is 17815, I figured that was the right map.I just don't understand people, they move out of town to a semi-rural or completely rural area then complain about roosters, the smell from the cows, horses and/pigs etc. If you don't want to deal with it don't move, your neighbors will NOT change their way of life for you.
Originally Posted by bruceh
i never say much but lurk here. so here is my take from what i have read. ray has beautiful black copper Marians. laying hens can be bought anywhere,good birds are not that easy to find.. nothing wrong with raising a Cornish rock. i have raised them since raising your own meat birds was popular. i can give anyone instructions. i have raised them to the size of small turkey. health issues do not have to be. the poop does not have to be runny and smelly. if you want a good heritage type meat bird. go with a white rock, barred rock, Delaware . the best hatchery bird in my opinion for these heritage type meat birds is mt healthy. if your looking for a true heritage bird that is another story.
if you want a good healthy productive birds with hardly any health issues feed them right nutrition is 90% of the battle. the other 10% is a healthy environment
I just started my chicks on the FF twice a day (hoping it will help with the runny poop, others have said it does), toss a little dry food for them to munch and find into their area, have cleaned their room (they have control of a bathroom right now) twice since we picked them up last week. Until we can move them outside I don't know how else to keep them moving. Thank you for the additional breeds for me to look into, like I said above I want to try to have a fairly self sustaining flock and be able to spread processing out. I'm not worried about true heritage breeds, as the to production versions seem to be more disease resistant from what I've read, but again I will do more research before I decide which I'm going with. I don't think you're being an ***, I'd rather learn more and know what I'm doing over going all willy nilly about this. So thank you for the info.