After actually reading the sticky at the top of the page, I'm editing this post to hopefully provide more details.
Original Post: We have 6 hens that we picked up about 2 months ago. Have LOVED them. Now have a chicken that's been in a nestbox for an undetermined amount of time (sometime today). She's lethargic, with drool coming from her beak. Doing research on what is going on but would LOVE some help -- what it is, how to help, how to keep the others from getting it. These are free range chickens... we pen them in a dirt floor room in the barn overnight where the nestboxes and a roost are but during the day they have free range of the pasture around the barn.
any and all help would be appreciated! Thanks!
1) What type of bird , age and weight. -- Barred Rock hen... a little over a year old? Dunno exactly, got her with the others in August. Been a consistent layer.
2) What is the behavior, exactly. -- drooling, lethargic, kept her eyes closed most of the time I was handling her. Looking at her butt, it seems she is actively trying to expell something (her vent? is in constant pucker/unpucker mode). There's a little fecal matter on some of her feathers - assumed to be some that came out and she was still sitting in the nestbox.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? -- hubby called me at 4:40 and said "she's been sitting in the box for quite a while". What that means I don't know.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? - no
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. - no
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. - haven't a clue
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. - not to my knowledge
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. - what is on her feathers is runny, but I don't see any really in the nestbox
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? - nothing.
Edited by tleventer - 10/18/10 at 2:32pm