Let's talk Golden Cuckoo Marans! - Page 49
This guy is one of the available culls:
Edited by morbius18 - 1/6/16 at 5:57pm
What part of TN are you in?
SFH, Isabelle leghorns and lovely Silverudd Blue (formerly called Blue Isbar)
-Silver Ameraucana, Queen Silvia and East Frisian Gull. Eggs fall 2016.
Please visit our farm page at- https://www.facebook.com/Poseyhillpoultry
VA Poultry Approval #213
Cuckoo X Birchen will not give you a Golden cuckoo, because a Birchem marans are Silver bird.
A Golden based bird is needed to recteate the Golden cuckoo.
here the way I m doing t;
1) Silver Cuckoo marans Rooster X Wheaten Marans hens.= F1 all Silver cuckoo.
the pullets are pure silver cuckoo .they lay nice dark eggs.
the cockerels where impure Silver /Golden cuckoo. the amount of the gold vary from one cockerel to another .
2) last year I split the work to make 2 lines; line A) Best F1 rooster Silver/Gold X Wheaten hens = F2 in this F2 there a Golden cuckoo, silver cuckoo ,black and red chicks.
line B) F1 rooster Silver/Gold Cuckoo X F1 silver cuckoo hens Brothers ant half sisters = F2B this one s are different ,got a golden cuckoo. silver cuckoo dark, silver cuckoo pure , silver wheaten pullets, black pullets and some other color patern don t have a name yet.
3) this year ; Line A) F2 Golden cuckoo Rooster X Golden cuckoo hen =F3
Line B) F2B Golden rooster X F2B Golden Cuckoo pullets = F3B
4) Next year ;Line A) F3 Golden cuckoo Double Barred Rooster Marans X F3 Gold Cuckoo pullets = F4 100% pure Golden Cuckoo Marans lay dark eggs.
Line B) same thing F3B X F3B = F4B 100% pure Golden Cuckoo Marams. lay dark egg
5) 2018; Roosters F4 X F4B Hens =F5 pure Golden Cuckoo. Good stock to start line breeding.
Roosters F4B X F4 Hens = F5 pure Golden Cuckoo. good stock to start line breeding
5 year project .
you made a good chose by choosing the brown Red ( Black copper ?) so now you don t have to breed the impure Gold/Silver S/s+ out
stay with a Golden s+/s+ gene you will have a good result in the end.
to darken the eggs you can use the light bared Golden cuckoo rooster over a Black copper Hen Or if you have a good Black copper Rooster than use him over a Golden cuckoo pullets you got = you ll only get a barred cockerels but they carry the dark egg gene. than choose the best cockerel ( he will be Dark Golden Cuckoo B/b+ ) and put him over the Black copper hens again = F2 they should lay dark eggs.
breed the F2 between them selves = F3 they will be a lot pure Golden cuckoo ( double bared Cockerels)
I like the Cuckoo pattern I m breedind t in a Silver , Golden and Blue.