One of my turkey poults snagged a moth last night, was fine when I went to bed, but this morning seemed a little lethargic, now shes really not looking good. Are they poisonous? Is there anything I can do? She has no symptoms other than lethargy, but shes really really lethargic now...
Please help! are moths poisonous to chicks/poults?
Featured Stories on BackYard Chickens
It depends entirely upon the species of moth. By default, moths are not inherently poisonous. For example, I feed the chicks, keets and our turkey poults every Plodia interpunctella (grain moth) I kill, and the currents babies are vigorous and voracious as ever after about a month of that being part of their normal diet. However, the body fluids of Arctia caja (garden tiger moth) contain neurotoxins. Poisonous moths will typically advertize their status by having bright and/or bold patterns adorning their bodies. If you could post a picture of the moth(s) in question, I may be able to give you a more specific answer.