1 week old duck leg help

Ladyhawke93

In the Brooder
Mar 17, 2023
First time duck mom. I kind of got thrown into having ducks. I work for a feed/farm store and we got ducks in a week ago. One had a bad leg(s) and because (s)he was unsellable, it and a companion came home with me. I've been treating it with nutra drench and have googled every combination of words "duck" "leg problems" and yes, niacin deficiency came up. Here's the rub. He doesn't get up, he doesn't walk. He lays on his side and flails to scoot between his water and food bowl and his hidey house. When we've looked at his legs (thought a splint might help) his legs seem to point in. So we're treating with nutritional yeast. He's keeping up with his sibling in size. So I'm a bit confused on what to do since he didn't suddenly start getting gimpy and he's been fed flock raiser from the start. If it's a hatch out issue what can I do? Any advice would be amazing.

I’d get Liquid BComplex and start giving that to the duckling daily TSC usually Carrie’s it
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/ here is info plus it will give you dose for the age of your duckling. I would get this asap. Also a 1 ml syringe with out a needle. If the duckling is eating good then put the liquid b on a small amount of feed just for him so your sure he is getting proper dose.We have see some awesome recoveries using liquid BComplex. Also the bottle will Say injectable but we use it orally. How does the duckling use it’s legs if put into the sink with enough warm water to float? Stay right close when doing this. You can also give it by mouth but you have to be extremely careful when doing this.https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/
Can you upload a video so we can see the duckling and how he is moving? You’ll have to put it on Vimeo or YouTube then copy and paste here.

First time duck mom. I kind of got thrown into having ducks. I work for a feed/farm store and we got ducks in a week ago. One had a bad leg(s) and because (s)he was unsellable, it and a companion came home with me. I've been treating it with nutra drench and have googled every combination of words "duck" "leg problems" and yes, niacin deficiency came up. Here's the rub. He doesn't get up, he doesn't walk. He lays on his side and flails to scoot between his water and food bowl and his hidey house. When we've looked at his legs (thought a splint might help) his legs seem to point in. So we're treating with nutritional yeast. He's keeping up with his sibling in size. So I'm a bit confused on what to do since he didn't suddenly start getting gimpy and he's been fed flock raiser from the start. If it's a hatch out issue what can I do? Any advice would be amazing.
Do you have photos since it could be malpositioned, shrink wrapped or splayed legs.

Back
Top Bottom