passionfluff

Hatching
Apr 28, 2022
New York, USA
Hi all, sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I recently got 3 almost 1 y/o (44 weeks I believe) Golden Comet hens that seem to refuse the higher roost ladder that I bought them. They used the ones that came with the pre-fab coop but they're only about an inch off the ground and a couple of the girls like to sleep in the nest boxes. They also seem to sleep laying on the floor sometimes instead. Is there any reason for them to not use a roost at their age? As far as I know they had one in their previous home.

No bullying issues that I've seen, they all like to nap together sometimes, and they always put themselves to bed in the coop. They have access to an outdoor run and free range (supervised) for a few hours each day. The floor of their coop is sand and I like to scoop it once a week and rake out their run which is currently just grass (waiting for them to destroy all of it, then will probably also switch to sand). They're laying normally also in the nest boxes. All are eating/drinking/pooping normally as well.

This is their coop. As you can tell the roosting poles provided are super low, but they almost seem to prefer that?
This is the roost that I bought them. It's definitely tiny for 3 full size hens and I was planning on buying a second one to also put in the coop but I'm not sure if its necessary now?

I've tried to reach in and put one hen on the top bar and she did stay for a couple hours but then jumped off and went to sleep on the floor with the other girls. I've removed the other two roosts as well to try and force them on it somehow but they are adamant. I also have a small waterer in the corner of the coop as well just so it's always available.

Thanks in advance for any advice/tips!

EDIT: Their coop only has that little window for ventilation so I usually prop open the nest box roof a bit so there's a little more air. I'm planning on just drilling some small holes in the opposite side of the window.

Chickens like to roost as high as possible but it's often not possible in tiny prefabs, a chicken need about a 14 inches of roost bar each. The chicken last owners might not have had roosts or enough roosts so the one lady sleeps on the floor.
I don't recommend leaving the egg door open, Coons or possums will make short work of an open door.
I'd recommend buying a $4 2x2 from hardware store and mounting it inside the coop for a perch instead of paying almost $50 for another perch, just my two cents.
Those prices! yikes, especially for the roost! But I digress, sorry. You have the perfect number of chickens for that coop. :]

All hens have a preference for where they like to sleep. Most chickens take the higher roosts, but I have known some who don't. I have an older winedot who prefers the nesting boxes, 2 barred rocks who prefer the lower roosts, and 1 other barred rock that sleeps on the ground. It's just their personalities, although sometimes they are either too heavy or just aren't able to get on the high roosts.

It's kinda small for 3 birds. The dimensions given are 47 x 38", but that includes the nests.

This is the roost that I bought them. It's definitely tiny for 3 full size hens
The pic in the link shows a larger roost size than is described(which is .75 x .75 and too small). Can you post pics of the actual coop and roost, and measure the roost bars?

You might consider these modifications:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-renovated-prefab-coop.1440258/

Their coop only has that little window for ventilation so I usually prop open the nest box roof a bit so there's a little more air. I'm planning on just drilling some small holes in the opposite side of the window.
You may need more than "small holes".

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1653996134112.png

I'd recommend buying a $4 2x2 from hardware store and mounting it inside the coop for a perch instead of paying almost $50 for another perch, just my two cents.
Yeah, I think that's going to be my move... I think I'm conditioned to spend money on perches from my parrots lol. I will say they used really nice wood so it wasn't a total waste I suppose.
All hens have a preference for where they like to sleep. Most chickens take the higher roosts, but I have known some who don't. I have an older winedot who prefers the nesting boxes, 2 barred rocks who prefer the lower roosts, and 1 other barred rock that sleeps on the ground. It's just their personalities, although sometimes they are either too heavy or just aren't able to get on the high roosts.
I'm starting to think they also prefer the lower one/nest boxes. It's annoying to have to clean them out more often but not much I can do about that if that's where they really want to sleep.
Where in this world are you located?
I'm in Southern New York, so it gets hot in the summer and cold in the winter. I do know for sure that the little window isn't enough but I'm not sure how to ensure that I don't take too much out of the coop and make it too cold during the winter. Thanks for the tip too! I put it in my profile.
Can you post pics of the actual coop and roost, and measure the roost bars?
I can't post pictures right now, but the roost is about 10 inches up at the highest and the lower ones are 2 inches above the ground. I believe it is also 18 inches long as well. The coop is 3ft x 3ft without the nest boxes and is about a foot off the ground. Like I mentioned they also have access to a run which we are actually going to double in size in the next week or so.

Back
Top Bottom