2 chicks hatched both with slipped tendon

cherieangelle

Songster
Mar 8, 2023
I’ve easily hatched 30 chicks. The last batch I hatched one was born with a slipped tendon.
Just had 4 more hatch & 2 of the 4 have a slipped tendon.
Is this something to do with their parents, incubator, or just random? Idk what to do. I’ve tried splinting them. Ones leg is bleeding & I feel like the bone is trying to poke out or something.
Any advice is greatly appreciated

I’ve easily hatched 30 chicks. The last batch I hatched one was born with a slipped tendon.
Just had 4 more hatch & 2 of the 4 have a slipped tendon.
Is this something to do with their parents, incubator, or just random? Idk what to do. I’ve tried splinting them. Ones leg is bleeding & I feel like the bone is trying to poke out or something.
Any advice is greatly appreciated
There can be many reasons for splayed leg type malformation.. including incubator fluctuations, genetics, and vitamin deficiency in the hatching egg itself.. seen around page 53 of the following link which is a very technical incubation/hatching resource..

https://www.hubbardbreeders.com/media/incubation_guideen__053407700_1525_26062017.pdf

For me.. 1 out of 30 kinda rules out hatch tray surface or incubator conditions, and would be considered an anomaly..

But 2/4.. gotta be genetic, nutritional, or heavy fluctuation in incubation temperature.. I had the 50% splay leg happen once during a long term winter power outage.

But was also able to identify a single hen who needed more nutrition than the rest of the flock to produce viable chicks.. this was a genetic disadvantage when I already had nutrition dialed in and not diminished with excess treats.

There could also be a varus/valgus deformity.. the one that feels like a bone poking out?? Got pics?

In addition to taping for correction.. vitamin supplementation is recommended (something with riboflavin).

In nature, seasonal changes to feed stuff available effects offspring viability.. hence only hatching certain times of year. In captivity we can certainly manage that..

These are just a few thought to try and help you start finding answers.

:fl

Back
Top Bottom