2 day old hatchies

honeyb711

Songster
7 Years
Jun 30, 2016
QLD Australia
Our Mumma hen hatched 2 of our 4 fertile eggs, 2 days ago. So far so good, she left the nest with them this morning to show them around, & to have a dust bath, & both chicks are eating & drinking.

So, my question, how soon is too soon to let Mumma & her chicks back in with the rest of the flock, & when I do this, should I still keep the seperate area for Mumma to take them back to at night? **She has been in the maternity ward cage/run since nesting, but this is set up just outside the main coop, with the other hens being able to still see & 'chat' to her...& everyone has 'met' the chicks, with no signs of hostility**

Also, do chicks change colour as they grow? I'm curious to know what colour these guys might be 🤔

Attachments

• IMG20240320082429.jpg
    IMG20240320082429.jpg
    831.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20240320_083214.jpg
    IMG_20240320_083214.jpg
    536.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20240320_083506.jpg
    IMG_20240320_083506.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20240320_083539.jpg
    IMG_20240320_083539.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20240320_132553.jpg
    IMG_20240320_132553.jpg
    570.3 KB · Views: 11
Remove all boundaries and let HER decide when the time is right.

As long as you have ample space, there is rarely any issue. It's only when you've isolated her from the flock entirely during the incubation or have another flock member or the mother herself that has aberrant behavior that problems arise.

Are you feeding the entire flock a good chick starter with oyster shell on the side for active layers? Is your main waterer chick safe? If so, you are good to go.

I'm not sure what you mean by the others have met them? From your third photo it doesn't look like they are isolated now.

So, my question, how soon is too soon to let Mumma & her chicks back in with the rest of the flock,
Some people keep them isolated until the chicks are practically grown and you have to manage integration yourself. Some of us never isolate them. On rare occasions you can get a hen that will try to murder chicks, but the vast majority of the time that is not a problem provided you have sufficient room. This is not one of those questions where there is only one correct answer. Each of us have different conditions and our chickens can have different personalities. I let my hens raise the chicks with the flock from hatch, some others keep them separated for a day or two until the chicks get more active. Others isolate for longer.

& when I do this, should I still keep the seperate area for Mumma to take them back to at night?
I believe in getting out of Mama's way and letting her raise the chicks. I don't care where they sleep as long as it is predator safe and out of the weather. if given the opportunity the hen will probably take the chicks back to where they were hatched at night but she might want to take them to the main coop. or she may go somewhere else.

Also, do chicks change colour as they grow? I'm curious to know what colour these guys might be 🤔
They can more than many people believe. Chicken color genetics can be interesting. Your photos look like the chicks are "shiny" in most photos so I'm not sure of their actual color. The one in your hand looks like it should grow up mostly red. Do you know the color of the hen that laid the egg and the rooster that fathered the chick? That can give you some clues but you don't know for sure until they feather out. I've had chicks that I thought would feather out red actually feather out black due to melanizers in the genetics. But if yours look like the chick in your hand red is most likely.

Remove all boundaries and let HER decide when the time is right.

As long as you have ample space, there is rarely any issue. It's only when you've isolated her from the flock entirely during the incubation or have another flock member or the mother herself that has aberrant behavior that problems arise.

Are you feeding the entire flock a good chick starter with oyster shell on the side for active layers? Is your main waterer chick safe? If so, you are good to go.
I opened the gate of the maternity cage yesterday (pic 3) for a few hours. The others had a look, but stayed out, & Mum & chicks stayed in their seperate run. This morning I opened the gate again, & she bought the chicks straight out with the others, & everyone is just fine ❤️ I will leave the maternity cage & seperate run set up for her to decide where she takes them.

& yes, I have switched the main feed out now this morning, so only starter is available, with the seperate grit, & vitamin powder I've just recently added for my layers.

I'm not sure what you mean by the others have met them? From your third photo it doesn't look like they are isolated now.

Some people keep them isolated until the chicks are practically grown and you have to manage integration yourself. Some of us never isolate them. On rare occasions you can get a hen that will try to murder chicks, but the vast majority of the time that is not a problem provided you have sufficient room. This is not one of those questions where there is only one correct answer. Each of us have different conditions and our chickens can have different personalities. I let my hens raise the chicks with the flock from hatch, some others keep them separated for a day or two until the chicks get more active. Others isolate for longer.

I believe in getting out of Mama's way and letting her raise the chicks. I don't care where they sleep as long as it is predator safe and out of the weather. if given the opportunity the hen will probably take the chicks back to where they were hatched at night but she might want to take them to the main coop. or she may go somewhere else.

They can more than many people believe. Chicken color genetics can be interesting. Your photos look like the chicks are "shiny" in most photos so I'm not sure of their actual color. The one in your hand looks like it should grow up mostly red. Do you know the color of the hen that laid the egg and the rooster that fathered the chick? That can give you some clues but you don't know for sure until they feather out. I've had chicks that I thought would feather out red actually feather out black due to melanizers in the genetics. But if yours look like the chick in your hand red is most likely.
I kept her seperate with the nest, but not isolated. Her cage & run, set up inside the main run, just outside the main coop. So the others have not lost sight of her etc the last 3+wks. Pic 3 is as far as the 'meeting' had gone when posting. I simply meant I opened the door to the maternity ward & everyone had a look 🤷🏻‍♀️ This morning Mumma has bought them straight out with the everyone else. I've watched from the sidelines, & have no concerns. I will just leave the gate open to the seperate cage & leave her to settle with them where she chooses ❤️

I purchased the fertile eggs, so have no idea on the true parents colours. I was told she had black, white, silver & splash eggs though.

Sounds like about the perfect set up!
Thank you for that! I definitely wanted to give them all the best chance, & this set up seems to have worked really well. Mumma is bringing them out each day into the main run, & taking them back to their nesting spot when she has had enough.

Watching her with them is truly amazing ❤️ All that teaching she does 😍

Attachments

• IMG_20240322_094223.jpg
    IMG_20240322_094223.jpg
    430.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20240322_094311.jpg
    IMG_20240322_094311.jpg
    785.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20240322_094350.jpg
    IMG_20240322_094350.jpg
    634.6 KB · Views: 2
Another quick update. I spoke to the lady I purchased the eggs from, & these eggs came from a splash hen & a black rooster, so she has said these babies will likely be blue 🤔 She explained a little to me how it all works, & I'm off to do some research as I find this part of it just as fascinating as the hatching part 😅

Attachments

• IMG_20240324_144503.jpg
    IMG_20240324_144503.jpg
    358.3 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom