2 mother hens in same coop

feather16

Songster
6 Years
Jul 30, 2017
CA, USA
Hello! My cochin became broody, then exactly a week later my speckled sussex became broody. They are both in the same coop, on opposite nesting boxes (about 5-6 feet between them, the roosting bars are between them)

Fast forward 3 weeks, my Goldie girl has 4 babies - and exactly one week later 😅 Annie has 3. So far they have doing GREAT. However, now that Goldie's babies are about a week and a half, she's moving more and whenever I come in with treats or to re fill, shes up and moving and grumbling (HA). Annie's babies are now about 5 days old, and she's still not moving too much, but the babies are active and doing well.

I've noticed my cochin, who is a second time mom, has gone over and kind of bullied her to stay there. I'm wondering what's the best way to go from here? Goldie hasn't taken her babies down the ramp, they may be still too small yet. I should have enough space in the coop to place a divider somehow... I don't know. I want Annie to be able to get up and move around but I don't want a fight. I thought they were going to do well together since they are both SO sweet. But my cochin is turning out to be a big mama bear.

I've also notcied Annie's babies have a few mites on them, so I patted some poultry dust on them, and dusted their nest when I got her up. I'm not too worried about that.

They have full access to food and water full time.

However, I have noticed once I come out with treats (cut up hard boiled eggs, greens, etc..) the mom with the older babies comes over to bully the other mom and babies. She hasn't full out attacked to kill, but definitely letting them know they can't come off the nest to eat. Right now I have one food and one water, but I can add another each to see if that'll help?

I also have this portable dog crate thing, HERE, its the medium size (45"x45"x24") which can fit the second mother and 3 babies. It's cloth, so it'll have to be in the house, which is fine... Otherwise I'm not too sure what to do... oof. I only have two coops, the moms are in one and the rest of the flock stay in the other.

They have full access to food and water full time.

However, I have noticed once I come out with treats (cut up hard boiled eggs, greens, etc..) the mom with the older babies comes over to bully the other mom and babies. She hasn't full out attacked to kill, but definitely letting them know they can't come off the nest to eat. Right now I have one food and one water, but I can add another each to see if that'll help?

I also have this portable dog crate thing, HERE, its the medium size (45"x45"x24") which can fit the second mother and 3 babies. It's cloth, so it'll have to be in the house, which is fine... Otherwise I'm not too sure what to do... oof. I only have two coops, the moms are in one and the rest of the flock stay in the other.
First try to put them together on the ground and see what happens. If there are no serious fights then I would just leave well enough alone but still keep an eye out for trouble. A second feeder and waterer, set well apart from the others, will help.

If there is trouble, you will need to section off the coop, if you can, or find some kind of crate or cage you can keep the second hen and her chicks in. Really it is better to do this inside the coop, because in a little time the hens may get used to each other's presence and you will then be able to allow both to walk freely in the coop together. Keeping the second hen in the crate indoors only prolongs the problem, because those chicks will grow fast, and if they are separate from the others for too long, fighting is pretty much guaranteed.

That is a good point about separating them, I was thinking about how that would work later on.. but thank you! I will try setting them on the ground and seeing how they do.

I’m not there most of the time, so I can’t say for sure but I love only noticed her act that way once I come out with extra food. Now that there are two food containers (well three really, since I keep one outside for them too) but two where they nest, I hope that’ll get Annie and her babies up and moving a little more. Her babies will be a week old tomorrow and are starting to move about outside moms belly more. The white leghorn straight up goes out and eats with the other mom. But the other two, olive eggers, are very quiet and shy. Very sweet little babies, but definitely not as brave at that leghorn LOL

Crossing my fingers it continues to be okay

Update: chicks are 1 and 2 weeks old, mom took her 1 week olds down and both moms are sharing space very well! They just hang out in opposite sides and kind of rotate throughout the day. The only time the Cochin (higher up the pecking order) gives the other one trouble is when there’s food, she’ll run her off but nothing too bad! All that stress for nothing 😅 I pray it continues to go well as the chicks age

IMG_1860.jpeg
IMG_1859.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom