2-week old chick making Clicking sounds

Tallya

In the Brooder
Feb 9, 2023
I found a chick outside under my neighbor's bike, separated from a hen that used to roam my front yard about a week ago. It was doing really well for about 5 days, then on the 6th day my family and I had to be out all day, and the same happened the day after. During that time I left the chick at home, next to the closed window, and turned the AC up to 81 degrees F.(we live in the Caribbean). There was food(which was the wrong food for him due to the pet store's mistake, getting that sorted out) and water. He suddenly fell sick.

He was weak, shaky, and wouldn't eat on his own or chirp. We decided to check his crop and it was stiff, I did some massages and cleared it, however, his strength is still just coming back, and after that incident, he started clicking and continuously opening his beak even though he wasn't chirping. He looks normal when sleeping, but when he's awake, unlike his usual energetic and trouble-making self, he is lethargic and weak. What should I do, we already had someone come to see him from agriculture dep. here and he said he was cold and needed starter feed, but the clicking and breathing thing is bothering me.

Please help me🥺🥺, I really really really want to be successful in keeping him alive.

The problem may be he's constipated and impacted from improper food and no grit (gravel) to digest it. Starter feed requires no grit to digest, but other whole grains do.

Try giving the chick a teaspoon of coconut oil. To make it easy to stuff into the beak, chill the small pieces of oil. After getting a teaspoon of oil into its beak, then massage the crop for five minutes. Repeat again in an hour.

The problem may be he's constipated and impacted from improper food and no grit (gravel) to digest it. Starter feed requires no grit to digest, but other whole grains do.

Try giving the chick a teaspoon of coconut oil. To make it easy to stuff into the beak, chill the small pieces of oil. After getting a teaspoon of oil into its beak, then massage the crop for five minutes. Repeat again in an hour.
Ok, I will do that, thank you so much.

I wanted to thank you one last time before I delete my account. My chick died three days after this. He was suffering from a respiratory disease, and in the place we live, they are currently culling the chickens, so no one could help. I decided to have him put to sleep so that he wouldn't hurt anymore after I saw that he injured his leg. Unfortunately, he passed away moments before leaving the house. I really appreciate your help however, please keep doing your excellent work. Bye bye🙂

Back
Top Bottom