2 year old hen can barely walk, 1 week into treatment - other suggestions?

I still don't see anything I recognize as a worm. The ones usually seen are roundworm and tapeworm segments, which I will picture below. Most of the time you won't see worms, they live their entire lives inside the bird and are digested when they die. The eggs are microscopic in size, can't be seen with the eye. I just see a loose, mucousy dropping, which sometimes can be caused by parasites, but there are other causes also. If you have a vet that will do a fecal, that's the best way to know for sure.
Roundworms:
1668037565719.png

Tapeworm segments:
1668037652432.png

Fresh tapeworm segments will usually be moving.

I woke up to a standing chicken yesterday and today! You can see the smashed B-vitamin tablet on the cucumber in the photo below. Miracle vitamin! Seriously, she's getting stronger and stronger.

I took her outside for a field trip with her sisters yesterday, and the low hen (Owlette) went after her with a vengeance followed by 2 other hens, but I was able to break them up easily. After that, Dottie hung out by me and the other 5 did their own thing 30+ feet away for a good hour.

I took her outside again today for a bit, and Dottie reminded Owlette of her place with one well-placed peck. After that, Dottie hung out by me and the other 5 did their own thing about 10 feet away for a good half hour. Our top hen and Dottie's forever bestie (Hazelnut) stayed close and in between, just supervising.

I just can't get over how enamored I am with my chickens. They are so smart, and so fascinating, and so very sweet. <3

I have added a very low roost and a mini "coop" box with a low roost in Dottie's crate, and she is probably going to stay inside with daily field trips for several more days. Walking is still very difficult for her and our temps just dropped to below freezing overnight and barely above freezing during the day - I want to make sure she's strong enough to handle that alone since she'll need to be in her crate in the run for several days to reintegrate her with the flock safely.

Yesterday:
1668198244309.png

Today after the field trip, and laying claim to the cucumber:
1668200465568.png

1668200504837.png

Back
Top Bottom